Best backpacking backpacks for travel are the ones that can help you in every step of your outdoor excursions. They are designed to take care of your survival and comfort in any environment nature throws on your way. We hope this guide has helped you choose top backpacking packs. Read this post now and find out more about it
Are you in a hurry? Here are our top picks and answers to your questions!
- Best backpack for long term travel – Osprey Aether Pro 70 Backpacking
- Best backpack for short term travel – Osprey Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack
Here's the latest travel deals we got for you
→ Save money on Airbnb. Use our link to sign up and you'll get $33 off your first booking and an additional $12 off if you book/buy tours and experiences from Airbnb. Thanks over $47 of savings!
→ Find great deals on hotels on Booking.com! We found great discounts from this hotel booking website and has scored few luxury hotels that are up to 50% off. If you've used them enough, you'll get an access to more deals and discounts.
Table of Contents
- 1 The Best Backpacking Backpacks Comparison Chart
- 2 A Travel Gear Guide: How to Choose The Best Backpacking Backpacks for Travel and What to Consider
- 3 Best Backpacking Backpacks 2019 reviews and product descriptions
- 3.1 Osprey Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack
- 3.2 Osprey Porter 46 Backpack
- 3.3 Bago Carry on Traveling Backpack Duffle Bag – 3 Way Duffel Backpack for Travel & Sports
- 3.4 Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack
- 3.5 Osprey Aether Pro 70 Backpacking
- 3.6 High Sierra Titan Backpack
- 3.7 Arc’teryx Alpha FL 45 Backpack
- 3.8 Osprey Men’s Atmos 65 AG Backpacks
- 3.9 Mountaintop 60L Hiking Backpack with Rain Cover
- 3.10 Mountaintop 40 Liter Hiking Backpack with Rain Cover for Outdoor Camping
- 4 Are you on Pinterest? Pin these for later read!
The Best Backpacking Backpacks Comparison Chart
|MODEL||DIMENSION||OTHER COLORS AVAILABLE||AMAZON RATING||CHECK PRICES:|
|Osprey Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack||27 x 17 x 5 inches||YES||4.7/5||CHECK PRICES|
|Osprey Porter 46 Backpack||23 x 15 x 13 inches||YES||4.6/5||CHECK PRICES|
|Bago Carry on Traveling Backpack Duffle Bag - 3 Way Duffel Backpack for Travel & Sports||13' x 23' x 11 inches||YES||4.3/5||CHECK PRICES|
|Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack||24 x 15 x 12 inches (S/M) and 26 x 16 x 12 (M/L)||YES||4.6/5||CHECK PRICES|
|Osprey Aether Pro 70 Backpacking||30 x 17 x 10 inches||NO||N/A||CHECK PRICES|
|High Sierra Titan Backpack||8.2 x 29.5 x 14 inches||YES||4.2/5||CHECK PRICES|
|Arc'teryx Alpha FL 45 Backpack||28 x 17 x 4 inches||YES||4.8/5||CHECK PRICES|
|Osprey Men's Atmos 65 AG Backpacks||10 x 16 x 23 inches||YES||4.7/5||CHECK PRICES|
|Mountaintop 60L Hiking Backpack with Rain Cover||31.9 x 12.6 x 9.1 inches||YES||4.3/5||CHECK PRICES|
|Mountaintop 40 Liter Hiking Backpack with Rain Cover for Outdoor Camping||21.7 x 13.8 x 9.8 inches||YES||4.4/5||CHECK PRICES|
A Travel Gear Guide: How to Choose The Best Backpacking Backpacks for Travel and What to Consider
Why you should get a backpacking backpack for travel?
The backpacking packs have one top-load main compartment which can store most of your gear. Additional zippers and compartments make the bag even bulkier and more complex. You can pack items that are required only in a camp like a sleeping bag, stove, tent, etc. in the bottom and most necessary items on the top.
A backpacking pack usually have wire mesh on the front, which is very helpful on trekking. You can carry the gear you need to stow instantly like water purifier or rain jacket.
It is an essential feature in the best travel pack. It can hold most of the weight of the backpack on the hips to avoid stress on your shoulders. Make sure hip belts are cozy and can transfer weight without having to slip.
These straps in your backpack can hold a lot of weight. They have comfortable padding and are spaced well to avoid odd pressure points.
You may not want to depend completely on backpack for waterproofing. But there are suitable backpacking backpacks for travel that can keep your contents dry even in heavy showers.
If you drink from water bladder when hiking, you can get a pack with a hydration port. Backpacks usually have hydration ports and sleeves.
Do you need a backpacking backpack?
A backpack an essential and fundamental parts of your backpacking accessories. You should choose the best budget backpacking pack for your adventure trip because you might be carrying a heavy load when hitting treks for several days. We recommend you to rely on the best backpacking bags because your whole trip will depend too much on them.
How to choose the best backpacking packs?
Backpacking backpacks for travel usually come with internal frames to transfer weight efficiently from shoulders to hips. It is vital as bigger muscles than your shoulders support hips, and it is less stressful to carry a load in a backpack with frame.
Your backpack should match torso length so it can sit well on the back. Some packs come in different sizes. You need to adjust the travel backpack accordingly with shoulder straps, hip belt, etc.
Modern backpacks have ergonomically designed back panels. Some backpacks have suspended mesh panels which add distance between the backpack and your pack and allow proper flow of air in between. These packs provide excellent ventilation.
Backpacking is a tiring activity. Hence, you should go with backpacking backpacks that are lightweight so you can cover extra miles faster.
Attachment points and pockets
Along with the main compartment, backpacking backpack must have easy to access pockets so you can easily organize your gear. It must have attachment points for ice axes, hiking poles, and other heavy gears.
You should choose the best backpack for backpacking Europe that has pocket/sleeve to store water. Usually, those compartments have water bladders that can store up to 3 liters of water. They are convenient for trekking and other activities where you need to drink water on the go.
Different types of backpacks?
The daypacks are an excellent choice for single-day climbs, hikes, bike rides, or runs. They are frameless and soft backed. They are designed for up to 15 pounds of loads, but they are lightweight. They also have hip belts to keep the load steady on the back.
Internal Frame Backpacks
These backpacks come handy to load heavy and large items. They can have plastic frame sheets, aluminum stays, curved rods, or all of these frames combined in the backpack, instead of external frames. They hug the curves of your back when they fit well.
External frame packs
They are also used for heavy loads, and they are ideal for trekking (instead of climbing, skiing, or bushwhacking) because it is hung off an exterior frame and load is placed far away from the back. It is suitable for those who go on trails as they have to load heavy gears.
Looking for other travel gears? Check out our review on travel towels, carry on backpack, travel organizers, travel adapters, cord organizers, power banks, day bags, refillable water bottles, toiletry bags, travel neck pillows, lock for your bag, and best cameras for travel
Best Backpacking Backpacks 2019 reviews and product descriptions
You may find hundreds of hiking and camping packs. It is very easy to confuse between these varieties. Don’t worry! You will learn to choose from a handful of best backpacking backpacks for travel listed here. All of the backpacks listed here provide superior value and are durable, versatile and high quality. You can’t go wrong when choosing these packs for your next hiking adventure.
This Osprey backpacking backpack is your best companion for a perfect gets around in the town in urban style. Whether you have planned for a weekend getaway across the city or a trek into the woods, this backpack is made to meet most airline standards for carry-on packs.
It features LightWire frame suspension for even load transfer across the hip belt and harness. It provides ample ventilation and keeps things organized with a zippered front panel and sewn attachment joints.
- Large panel zip access to main compartment
- Lockable sliders on main compartment zipper
- Stowaway backpanel, harness and hipbelt with zippered rear flap for protection
- Laptop and tablet sleeve secure in lockable compartment
- Two internal compression straps hold contents securely
Are you looking for a handy and flexible travel companion? You will love Porter 46 backpack from Osprey. This durable duffel backpack comes with integrated technical pack suspension. Unzip the back panel and deploy the mesh shoulder harness as well as hip belt suspension to cover some ground and carry it well on the pack.
- Straightjacket compression with padded wings and lower panel secures and protects clothing and gear
- Stowaway shoulder harness and hip belt with adjustable sternum strap and whistle buckle , 38mm webbing
- Protected rear panel lockable zip laptop/tablet sleeve for quick access at security or while traveling
- Front panel organization pocket for easy access to small travel items
- D-ring attachments for adding a shoulder strap (sold separately)
Looking for a special duffle bag that can fit all situations no matter what? Bago Field Duffel Bag is your handy tactical travel duffle bag and backpack for your army camping. It is a durable and versatile pack that can last years and save you from buying a back for each purpose.
- MULTIPURPOSE 'ALL-AROUND' DUFFLE BACKPACK: Has 53L main storage and multiple pockets. Store a week of clothes, toiletry and travel essentials. With Bago Duffle Bag's versatile design, use it for sporty adventures from hiking, camping and trekking to backpacking or business travels! You choose!
- SMART & COMFY STRAPS: Carry it how you want! Our duffle bag can be worn as a backpack or sling bag and has straps to carry it. Wide backpack straps are breathable and easily stuffed in the back pockets for ease of carry. Shoulder and hand carry straps have handles for a strong and comfortable grip.
- HANDY AND EASY STORAGE: Bago's travel backpack Comes with a carrying pouch so you can bring your easy-to-fold, compact Bago Duffel Bag as an extra bag or store it without taking up too much space in your closet. Use the carrying case as an additional hand bag or to pack loose items inside the bag.
- HIGH QUALITY AND DURABILITY: Made with high quality fabric, you get 100% confidence that all Bago products are well-made and will last you for years. We want to give you the best so if you're not satisfied, just contact our friendly Customer Service and we'll be glad to assist you!
- THE SPECS? Measures: 13' x 23' x 11' inch (32 x 58 x 27 cm) with 3289 Cubic Inches (53 L) Capacity. A huge compartment with 2-way zipper opening. Zippers cover most of bag's top perimeter. Bag opens huge to easily place items in from either side. Duffel bag turns to a backpack & back to a duffle.
Kelty Redwing is engineered for a perfect organization to make your overnight journey and trekking smoother. You can use this pack both as panel loader and top loader thanks to U-zipper for added comfort in any trip.
When it comes to organization, no other bag can beat Redwing as it has zippered stash pocket, side pockets, wide front pocket, and large pocket over the top of the backpack.
- Redwing is a tried & true trail value for all day hikes or a quick overnight, a true multipurpose pack from international travel to a day on the trail
- Perfect Fit Suspension supplies you w/ customized comfort without the hassle, accurate on body adjustments w/ 3 simple steps for pack fitting success
- Features: Top Loading,Zippered side pockets, front pocket w/ organization, Stretch front pouch, Hydration Compatible
- Suspension Features: Perfect Fit Suspension, HDPE frame sheet, Hex Mesh back panel, ventilating back , Sternum strap, Load lifter strap
- Dimensions: Size (L x W x D) 26 x 16 x 12 in, Weight 3 lbs 11 oz, Volume 50 L, Torso Size 15.5 - 21 in
Aether Pro 70 is a streamlined backpack made for long adventures that last several days or months, thru-hikes to push the boundaries, climbing through remote base camps on the alpine or other tours where you can make the only trail. This pack offers stress-free performance.
- Removable top-lid converts to DayLid daypack
- Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment
- Integrated FlapJacket cover for lidless use
- Additional main compartment access
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve
High Sierra Titan backpack is the best combination of lightweight hardware and fabrics with advanced mesh back in-stretched design. It provides the right blend of technology, comfort for serious outdoor adventure.
- 55-liter, top-load main compartment with gusseted drawstring closure and adjustable top lid. Front-load sleeping bag compartment with divider.
- S-shaped Ergo-Fit shoulder strap harness with load-lifters adjust to fit trimmer torso. High-density foam padded back panel, with large Airflow channels and uniquely contoured internal frame structure, helps keep your back cool and dry.
- Hinged front pocket, with mesh side gussets, can hold ropes or other gear. Convenient webbing daisy chain on the front. Padded grab handles on both sides.
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve and dual exit ports for tube (reservoir not included). Removable media pocket on backpack strap. Adjustable side and bottom compression straps.
- Adjustable sternum strap stabilizes pack. Soft lashing hardware holds ice ax/hiking poles. Dual mesh pockets hold 1000ml water bottles.
This ultralight backpack is one the best backpacking backpack, and it is high weather-resistant, waterproof, and designed for fast and light travel on rocks, ice or alpine. It has main Kangaroo pocket compartment with snap closure and compression strap for added protection to your stuff. It has zippered access on the sides to the main compartment so you can take out what you need.
- ALPHA FL 45 BACKPACK - The Arc'teryx attention to performance details, focus on delivering maximum functionality with minimalist design, and unrivaled commitment to craftsmanship combine in a fast, light, hardwearing pack for climbers and ski alpinists.
- FAST & LIGHT - Minimalist, high performance and light weight, for rapid travel in variable conditions.
- ADVANCED COMPOSITE CONSTRUCTION - Laminated, highly waterproof and light weight. Taped seams, permits custom attachments.
- ALPHA - Lightweight, minimalist climbing and alpinism products that protect from alpine environments.
- ALPINISM & CLIMBING - Climbing equipment designed for efficient movement and protection in alpine environments
The Anti-Gravity suspension is the key highlight of Osprey Men’s Atmos 65 AG backpacks, which provides ample ventilation and comfort. This award-winning backpack has earned an excellent reputation on the Pacific Crest Trail.
The torso length is easy to adjust, and hip belt can easily fit on your body to provide great comfort on the trail. You can access the gear via zippered front panel or top of the pack.
- Anti-Gravity suspension - feels like you are carrying less weight than is in your pack
- Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment allows you to stow your poles in steep terrain or whenever you need your hands free
- Adjustable harness and Fit-on-the-Fly hipbelt to dial in perfect fit
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve accommodates up to a 3L reservoir
- Removable floating top lid with dual zippered pockets and web attachment points
Since 1986, Mountaintop has been offering world-class backpacks and hiking gear. This 60L hiking backpack is your best companion on the trail, and it keeps your stuff dry with rain cover. It is designed for your next hiking, trekking, camping, or traveling.
- YKK Buckle:These high quality buckles clip together easily,buckle up and release quickly when needed.
- Hydration Access：A hydration access on one side for hydration tube.
- Rain Cover：Comes with a high vis rain cover in the bottom pocket can cover your whole pack. Also, an elasticated strap can be clipped with the pack.
- S-shape Shoulder Straps：Padded and breathable mesh shoulder straps fit your body perfectly.
- -WARRANTY- Includes 90 days limited warranty.
This 40L hiking backpack from Mountaintop is your best choice for outdoor camping, and you don’t have to worry about heavy rainfall en route because it comes with rain cover. It also features a laptop compartment which is large enough to carry a 17″ laptop. You can also use a compartment for a bladder and hold a tube.
- Material:Polyester. YKK Zipper and YKK Buckle
- The main compartment is the size of the whole backpack. Mine is 20"h x 12"w x 4.5" deep.Your Laptop(big enough for a 17"laptop).There is a compartment that can be used for a bladder and a holding place for the tube but no specific bladder space.
- The size is perfect and meets the personal carry on for airlines such as frontier so you can load these down and not pay for a checked bag.
- The belly strap is not removable, but it can be strapped to the pack itself to keep the pack fairly flush against your back without using the strap.(the size:25--53 inches)
- Use the waist belt, and slightly loosen the shoulder straps to shift the weight to the hips. That is what the hip belt on all backpacks is for. Adjust until comfortable. Also, use the sternum strap. It will bring the shoulder straps in tighter to the chest. It will also help prevent the shoulder straps from falling off the shoulders.
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these for later read!