Looking for the best hiking backpacks out there? Read on and read our reviews!
Whether you are going for a quick hike to the mountains or for weekend trips, you should carry proper gear. To carry your belongings for your adventure trip, be sure to take a lightweight hiking backpack so you can cover more miles and kilometers while saving energy.
Light backpacking is not all about trekking. Even the whole travel industry is focusing on lightweight backpacking for a good reason. It adds more convenience and comfort to the journey.
After testing lots of hiking backpack brands and researching hiking backpack reviews, we have narrowed down the list of top-rated hiking backpacks for a comfortable trek for years to come.
Are you in a hurry? Here are our top picks and answers to your questions!
- Best rated hiking backpack – Granite Gear Crown 2 60 Backpack – Men’s
- Our top pick – Deuter Airlite 22 Ultralight Day Hiking Backpack
Here's the latest travel deals we got for you
→ Save money on Airbnb. Use our link to sign up and you'll get $33 off your first booking and an additional $12 off if you book/buy tours and experiences from Airbnb. Thanks over $47 of savings!
→ Find great deals on hotels on Booking.com! We found great discounts from this hotel booking website and has scored few luxury hotels that are up to 50% off. If you've used them enough, you'll get an access to more deals and discounts.
Table of Contents
- 1 The best hiking Backpacks Comparison Chart
- 2 A Travel Gear Guide: How to Choose The Best Hiking Backpacks and What to Consider
- 3 Best Hiking Backpacks reviews and product descriptions
- 3.1 Sunhiker Cycling Hiking Backpack Water Resistant Travel Backpack Lightweight SMALL Daypack M0714
- 3.2 Deuter Airlite 22 Ultralight Day Hiking Backpack
- 3.3 Osprey Men’s Atmos 65 AG Backpacks
- 3.4 Teton Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack; High-Performance Backpack
- 3.5 Granite Gear Crown 2 60 Backpack – Men’s
- 3.6 Venture Pal Lightweight Packable Durable Travel Hiking Backpack – Daypack
- 3.7 High Sierra Titan 65 Frame Pack True Navy/Crimson
- 3.8 Gregory Mountain Products Baltoro 75 Liter Men’s Multi-Day Hiking Backpack
- 3.9 Osprey Aether AG 70 Pack – Men’s
- 3.10 Amazon Basics Internal Frame Hiking Backpack with Rainfly
- 4 Are you on Pinterest? Pin these for later read!
The best hiking Backpacks Comparison Chart
A Travel Gear Guide: How to Choose The Best Hiking Backpacks and What to Consider
Why you should get a hiking backpack?
A hiking backpack is the first things you should buy to start hiking. You will be wearing it for a long time. So, be sure to make the right choice. The best hiking backpack may not be cheap, but it is worth to invest, which will last for several years to come.
Do you need a hiking backpack when you explore the vast outdoors?
Hiking packs have a lot of pockets so you can carry your belongings and keep them organized and know where they are. Your life can be a lot easier with a well-organized hiking bag.
You can keep your gear safe in pockets with quality zips. You can easily keep small items which could get lost easily in wide compartments. You can always know where they are stored.
It is always wise to have separate pockets and compartments. It is especially true when planning to carry your laptop and mobile devices, as it provides added protection. A day hiking backpack is the best choice if you want to keep things organized.
How to choose the best hiking backpack?
To decide the right capacity of a lightweight hiking backpack, consider the length of your journey. If you are going for a short trip and cover only a few miles into the woods, you can choose a small hiking backpack with around 12 to 18 liters of capacity.
Similarly, if you are going for a week-long trip, you will carry more stuff on your trip. For doing this, you will need a day hiking backpack with around 50 liters of capacity.
It is often essential to have a ton of gear when you make your way down the trail as a lot of backpacks are made with a durable frame. Make sure it comes with equal weight distribution to reduce fatigue.
Packs are built with a large central compartment which is easy to access through the top of the bag. Make sure you can access the contents easily across the main compartment. You won’t want your stuff to spill out on the ground. You should also have multiple large and small pockets outside the pack so you can easily pick the things you need more often.
Be sure to choose the best hiking packs that can keep your belongings dry with a detachable rain cover during a heavy downpour. Most cheap hiking backpacks have a rain shield. If your pack doesn’t come with rain cover, you can buy a separate one.
If you are into bladder-style hydration pouch to slip away without removing your pack and picking out a water bottle. You can choose a pack which has a hydration pouch or pocket.
Different types of hiking backpacks
The hiking backpacks can vary by their intended use, materials, size, and design. Lightweight and small packs are made with hydration bladders and some clothing and gear. They are just known as hydration packs.
The best day hiking backpack is the one which can carry enough gear for a day trip. Overnight packs have enough space to accommodate a weekend trip or a night. On the other side, large packs have enough space for a week to spend in the backcountry.
Looking for more gear reviews? We also have written a review about the best tent for hiking, hammocks for travel, reusable water bottles, quick dry towels, hiking boots for men and women, backpacking backpacks, carry on backpacks, lightweight jackets, packing cubes, electronic organizers, best camera for travel, and power banks!
Best Hiking Backpacks reviews and product descriptions
Sunhiker light hiking backpack is highly water-resistant and tear-resistant as it is made of durable nylon. It is best suited for all outdoor activities like hiking, camping, traveling, cycling, rock climbing, and camping. It has adjustable shoulder straps, volume control system, and Mat-Reflective stripe for added control. Both sides have a bottle holder and airy mesh shoulder straps.
- Dimensions:15.8H x 9.4L x 5.9W inches/ 40 x 24 x 15 cm. Weight:12.3oz.
- Material:Highly tear resistant nylon,water-resistant. Lightweight, Scratch-resistant, Anti-tear & Anti Water Splashing. Provides you a long-term, secure daily using.
- MatReflective stripe,volume control system,adjustable shoulder straps.
- Breathable mesh shoulder straps which helps relieve the stress of shoulder.Multiple compartments offering enough place to save your belongs more detailed classification and well.Bottle holder on the both sides.
- Suitable for activities like hiking,camping,climbing,traveling cycling and outdoors.
This hiking backpack from Deuter AirLite 22 Ultralight is one of the best hiking backpack, suited for adventure racing, short skiing, and sport climbing in alpine or longer trekking tours.
This pack is truly versatile, made of 210 den Nylon Fabric, with strong ripstop threads. With side compression straps for maintaining pack volume, side mesh pockets with a key hook. And it has 3M reflective elements both in front and at the back to guarantee visibility in the dark.
- ENGINEERED WITH INNOVATION - Deuter's Airlite pack brings together all around versatility and advanced ergonomics to deliver optimal comfort and performance through anatomically-sound construction
- MAXIMUM VENTILATION - Deuter's innovative AirComfort back system leverages a flexible steel spring frame to stabilize the mesh panel that creates ventilation space between the pack and your body; Ultralight and super-breathable, the durable AirComfort system reduces heat build up without compromising freedom of movement
- VERSATILITY - Designed to be as lightweight as possible, the Airlite is an innovative take on the classic day pack; An excellent choice for long distance runners, bicyclists, hikers, and urban commuters who don't let anything slow them down
- FEATURES AND FUNCTIONALITY - Compression straps; hipbelt with dual mesh pockets; ventilated shoulder straps; valuables compartment with key hook; hiking pole attachment loops; pockets in all the right places; even an integrated, detachable rain cover; compatible with 2- and 3-liter hydration systems
- BUILT TO LAST - Ripstop 210 and Microrip-Nylon fabrics lend the Airlite high-performance durability in a featherweight package; Strong ripstop threads and PU coating makes these backpacks water- and abrasion- resistant, allowing them to work harder and last longer
The major highlight of Osprey Men’s Atmos 65 AG Backpack is its patented Anti-Gravity Suspension system to provide ample ventilation and comfort. It has been well regarded among die-hard hiking fans on Pacific Crest Trail.
It has a seamless back panel which has light mesh extending over the top to the hip belt, which hugs your body to provide excellent fit and endless movement.
The easy to adjust torso length and fit-on-the-fly hipbelt provide great comfort on the trail. You can easily carry your gear and access it from the top of the bag or through the zippered front panel.
- The adjustable harness allows the user to easily adjust the torso length of the pack by using the easy release cams behind the harness yoke
- The Fit-on-the-Fly hip belt pads extend 5"/15cm to accommodate different hip sizes providing a custom fit
- The floating top lid can extend to accept oversized loads or can be removed from the pack body for weight saving lidless use.A removable floating lid can be replaced with a fixed FlatJacket to protect your packed gear and minimize weight
- An internal reservoir sleeve is located in the main body of the pack allowing easy loading/unloading of a hydration reservoir
- Osprey's Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment is designed to quickly attach and carry trekking poles while wearing a pack
TETON Sports Scout 3400 is a very versatile and high-performance, durable hiking backpack with mesh lumbar, sturdy zippers, padded shoulder. And waist straps, and easy to bend aluminum stays, making it suitable for hiking, backpacking, and camping.
Another icing on a cake is its yellow safety rainfly, a sewn-in rain cover to protect its contents. And it also stays hidden until you open it. You can secure the main compartment with its two-barrel lock strings. It also has loops to hang gears like ice axe, ski poles, shovel, etc.
- Not your basic backpack: continues to be the top selling internal frame backpack on at a great price for all the included Features; backpack for men and women
- Versatile quick trip pack: just right for youth and adults for light backpacking trips; best for 2-4-day adventures; 3400 cubic inches (55 L) capacity; weighs 4. 5 pounds (2 kg)
- Comfort you can customize: multi-position torso adjustment Fits wide range of body sizes; Durable open-cell foam Lumbar pad and molded channels provide maximum comfort and airflow
- Trusted quality: hiking backpack with hundreds of verified 5-star reviews testifying to the quality and design; sleeping bag compartment, compression straps, and exterior pockets for Strategic packing
- Teton Sports promise: Reach out to our AMAZING customer service Team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN count on US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with Teton Sports
Granite Gear Crown 2 60 is the whole new yet ultralight backpack for your multi-day tours. It has patented Re-Fit fully adjustable hip belt, Air-Current Mark 2 PP frame which is new and improved with compression and molded foam panel on the back. It features large and dual hip belt pockets and inner hydration sleeve and port.
- Dual density shoulder harness with load-lifter straps and removable sternum strap
- Re-Fit fully adjustable (from 28 - 40in), dual density hip belt
- Dual large hip belt pockets with DWR treated zippers
- Roll-top main compartment opening with centered dual strap and singular buckle for quick access and easy compression
- Removable lid has a compartment with DWR treated zipper
The Venture Pal travel hiking backpack is a durable and lightweight daypack made of water and tear-resistant material for added durability and long-lasting performance.
It has a double-layered bottom to make it very convenient to carry more stuff without adding bulk. It has two side durable SBS metal zippers which are easy to use.
- DURABLE. This Venture Pal Backpack is made with high quality tear and water resistant material, provides extra strength and long-lasting performance with the lightest weight possible. The extra strength provided by the double-layer bottom piece makes it very convenient to carry more load on your journeys. Heavy duty two-way SBS metal zippers across the backpack are convenient to operation on whichever side you prefer. Longevity is further enhanced by bar-tacks at major stress points.
- COMFORTABLE. Breathable mesh shoulder straps with plentiful sponge padding help relieve the stress from your shoulder. The length of the shoulder straps is adjustable. The chest strap with a whistle buckle help you lock your backpack in place securely.
- MULTI COMPARTMENTS and KEEP THINGS ORGANIZED. This backpack features one main zipped compartment, two zipped front pockets and two side pockets. The main compartment provide enough room (35 liters) no matter if it's a day trip or a week long journey. Two separators in the main compartment are convenient enough to help you further organize things. The two front pockets are good for holding small accessories and for easy access. Two side pockets are good for holding water bottles and umbrellas.
- LIGHTWEIGHT(0.7LB) and ROOMY(35Liters).A true space saver. Fold the backpack into its own pocket for storage(no more excess baggage fees),and unfold it when you reach your destination. To avoid overweight charge, simply unfold from your checked bags and use it as a carry on for your excess baggage.
- COMPACT. Folds into zipped inner pocket to fit anywhere, and unfolds from pocket to backpack in seconds. A must have for every trip.Warranty: Our Promise-lifetime warranty-Exchange, return, whatever it takes
The High Sierra Titan 65 frame pack is made of all the latest technologies you have ever found when looking for lightweight packs.It has the advanced stretched-mesh back design and lightweight fabrics to become the best ever Sierra pack for you. It has the right blend of technology, comfort, and style for serious outdoor adventure.
- 65-liter, top-load main compartment with gusseted drawstring closure and adjustable top lid. Front-load sleeping bag compartment with divider.
- S-shaped Ergo-Fit shoulder strap harness with load-lifters adjust to fit trimmer torso. High-density foam padded back panel, with large Airflow channels and uniquely contoured internal frame structure, helps keep your back cool and dry.
- Hinged front pocket, with mesh side gussets, can hold ropes or other gear. Convenient webbing daisy chain on the front. Padded grab handles on both sides.
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve and dual exit ports for tube (reservoir not included). Removable media pocket on backpack strap. Adjustable side and bottom compression straps.
- Adjustable sternum strap stabilizes pack. Soft lashing hardware holds ice ax/hiking poles. Dual mesh pockets hold 1000ml water bottles.
The Baltoro 75 Liter Multi-day hiking pack from Gregory Mountain Products is your best choice for an epic week-long journey. It has Response A3 suspension which can adapt well to your body automatically. This spacious pack feels really very light and agile, even when it is loaded completely.
- 3D AIR HIPBELT AND SHOULDER HARNESS: Gregory's PreCurve technology and multi-density foam construction combine to eliminate hotspots and relieve pressure in sensitive areas. The 3D AIR mesh wicks away moisture, increasing overall comfort
- WISHBONE INTERNAL FRAME: A high-strength aluminum frame defines the perimeter of the back panel, preventing the pack from losing its shape and keeping the load close to your center of gravity
- FREE DAYPACK: Removable hydration sleeve converts into fast and light SideKick Daypack with shoulder harnesses and accessory pocket
- CUSTOM FITTED RAINCOVER: Included rain cover stows in a quick access zippered pocket on underside of the top lid
- IDEAL USES: Backpacking, Through Hiking, Hiking, Camping, Travel. WEIGHT: 5.22 lbs. DIMENSIONS: 32.0" x 14.0" x 13.5"
Osprey Aether AG 70 backpack for men is truly a dream pack for thru-hikers, backpackers, and alpine climbers. It features Anti-Gravity technology with innovative features and a customizable fit. It is really a very comfortable and capable pack for great load capacity for any excursion for multiple days.
- Removable top-lid converts to DayLid daypack
- Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment
- Integrated FlapJacket cover for lidless use
- Additional main compartment access
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve
AmazonBasics Internal Frame hiking backpack has been designed to make your adventure trip more memorable and comfortable. It is best for camping and hiking.
It has a durable design for superior performance and rainfly to keep its contents dry. It has a lot of space to carry your essentials. Best of all, the hiking backpack is made of polyester and is available in different colors and sizes.
- Internal-frame backpack with 75 L capacity (70 L + 5 L extension collar); made of durable polyester; ideal for hiking and camping
- Extensive storage pockets and compartments; large sleeping-bag compartment; multi-directional compression straps
- Adjustable straps and padded shoulder straps for a comfortable fit; open-cell foam lumbar pad and molded channels for lower-back support and airflow
- Water-repellent exterior coating and integrated water-resistant rainfly for light rain; waterproof cover included for heavier rain; choice of color
- Measures 26 inches long; backed by an AmazonBasics limited one-year warranty
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these for later read!