Philippines Vacation Ideas
Quick Facts & Travel Tips
- Capital City? Manila
- Currency? Philippine pesos
- Languages? Filipino and English
- Where is this place? Southeast Asia
- What is the Philippines famous for? beautiful beaches, Sinulog festival, Palawan islands, diving spots, surfing spots, and rain forests
- Best time to visit the Philippines? The island has two major seasons – rainy season and dry season. Given that it is a tropical island, it does receive a fair amount of typhoons throughout the year. The best time to visit is between December to February. The hottest time of the year is during the summer season between March to May. June to October is the rainy season and typhoon season.
- Transportation in the Philippines? The easiest ways to travel between cities are either by bus, rental cars, or airplanes. To cross seas between islands, the best way to to take the commuter boats that often travels every hour or so. In bigger cities, you can use Grab or taxis. The famous mode of transportation for locals, however, are jeepneys, tricycles, and public buses.
- International Airport(s)? Ninoy Aquino International Airport
- Which side of the road do they drive? The right-hand side
- What electric plug do they use? Plugs A and B. Read our electric plug review for more information.
- Neighboring countries? By sea: Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, Vietnam, and Singapore
Do you need a visa for the Philippines?
Most European Union countries, the US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and most countries get a 30 days visa-free entry to the Philippines with exception of Hongkong, Macau, and Portugal who get 14 days visa-free entry.
Citizens of China and most middle eastern countries and some Balkan nationals would need a visa before arrival. Read more here.
Citizens of Taiwan can obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization via the Manila Economic and Cultural office.
Citizens of Israel and Brazil can obtain a 59 days visa-free entry on arrival.
Where to book your flights to the Philippines?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need travel insurance for the Philippines?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.