Sri Lanka Vacation Ideas
Quick Facts & Travel Tips
- Capital City? Colombo
- Currency? Sri Lankan Rupee
- Language(s)? Sinhala and Tamil
- Where is this country located? Southwest of Asia
- What is Sri Lanka famous for? Tea, spices, Ayurveda, Gems, and UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Best time to visit Sri Lanka and seasons? Since the country of Sri Lanka is located close to the Equator, the temperature remains quite constant all year-round. On average, the daytime temperatures remain 26 to 30 degrees Celsius in coastal and lowland areas. Simply put, it is up to the route you choose to decide when to visit Sri Lanka. If you are going to the south and west coast as well as hill country, you can visit from December to March. If you are heading to the east coast, April/May to September is the best time to visit Sri Lanka.
- Transportation in Sri Lanka? Tuktuks, Train, and Buses
- International Airport(s)? Bandaranaike International Airport
- Which side of the road do they drive? The left-hand side
- What is the electricity plug type? Plugs D and G. If you need one, check out our plug adapter reviews.
- Neighboring countries? India
How to apply for a Sri Lankan visa?
It is very easy to apply for a tourist visa for Sri Lanka visa online. However, it is important to travel with your Sri Lanka visa so that when you get to Colombo, it would be easy for you to get out of the airport without going through immigration.
That said, make sure that you leave enough room between applying for a visa as processing time depends on the volume of queries they get per day.
Alternatively, you can get your visa from the airport but you’ll have to wait in line for a long time, I’d say it is worth it to get the visa online to save you some troubles.
Where to book your flights to Sri Lanka?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need travel insurance for Sri Lanka?
What is popular in Sri Lanka?
Sri Lanka is popular for many things from temples to its world-class cuisine. However, what the country really is known worldwide is for its various spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, and pepper.
Other than this, the country also produces precious gems such as blue sapphire, ruby, quartz, and many more.
What should I buy in Sri Lanka?
Definitely buy some Ceylon tea, spices, and if you have some money, precious gems!
Can you wear shorts in Sri Lanka?
Generally, the public doesn’t mind what you wear but you do need to cover up if you want to visit temples so please plan your attire accordingly and be respectful to the local culture.
Can I drink the water in Sri Lanka?
It is best if you don’t and rather buy bottled water or refill your reusable bottle from your hotel/hostels.
Is Sri Lanka safe to travel alone?
This totally depends on each person but from personal experience as a solo female traveler, Sri Lanka is a safe country to travel alone especially as a woman. That said, it is very important to be cautious and wary of your surroundings at all times.
Is Sri Lanka expensive to visit?
To give you an idea from personal experience, two weeks of non-stop travel in Sri Lanka, I’ve spent about 250USD and that includes accommodation, transport, and food.