Austria Vacation Ideas
Quick Facts & Travel Tips
- Capital City? Vienna
- Currency? Euro
- Languages? German, Hungarian, Austrian German, Slovenian
- Where is this place? Central Europe
- What is Austria famous for? Castles, Palaces, Architecture, Wiener Schnitzel, Waltz, and Gustav Klimt
- Best time to visit Austria? Spring (April to May) and Autumn (September to October) are the lowest seasons with good weather but fewer crowds and possibly lowest rates on hotels and tours. Summer (June to August) is the highest season and Winter (November to March) is also a good time to visit if you enjoy Christmas markets, skiing, and winter activities. That said, make sure to bring a good winter jacket and walking shoes with you to make it easier to explore the city!
- Which side of the road do they drive? The right-hand side
- Which type of electric plug do they use? Plugs C and F. If you need one, check our adapter review.
- Neighboring countries? Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Italy, and Liechtenstein
Do you need a visa for Austria?
In order to enter Austria, you need to have a valid Schengen visa. If you’re a citizen of the EU group of countries, you can enter Austria without a visa.
Check out our detailed guide on how to apply for a Schengen visa – read it here.
Where to book your flights to Austria?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need travel insurance for Austria?
OUR TOP TRAVEL GUIDES & TIPS
Are you planning to visit a winter wonderland destination around the holidays? If you do, make sure not to miss the best Christmas markets in Austria.