Finland Vacation Ideas
Quick Facts & Travel Tips
- Capital City? Helsinki
- Currency? Euro
- Languages? Finnish, Swedish, and English
- Where is this place? Located in Northern Europe
- What is Finland famous for? Northern Lights, lakes, sauna, Santa Claus, ice hotels, free education, free health care, and as the happiest country in the world.
- Best time to visit Finland? All-year-round. But if you want to see the Northern Lights, you should come between September and January. If you want to witness the midnight sun, you have to visit in June.
- How to get there? Most international flights are received in Helsinki, and you can do a cross-country road trip between Norway, Sweden, and Russia. You can also come by boat from Sweden and Estonia.
- Which side of the road do they drive? The right-hand side.
- What type of electric plug do they use? Type C, E, and F. Read this post for more information about travel adapters.
- Neighboring countries? Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, and Russia.
Do you need a visa for Finland?
In order to enter Finland, you need to have a valid Schengen visa. If you’re a citizen of the EU group of countries, you can enter Finland without a visa. However, if you’re a citizen of Canada, the USA, New Zealand, and Australia – you can stay in Schengen areas for 90 days.
Check out our detailed guide on how to apply for a Schengen visa – read it here.
Where to book your flights to Finland?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need travel insurance for Finland?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.
Is Finland an expensive country?
Finland is one of the most expensive countries in Europe. In fact, it ranks in the top ten after Denmark, Norway, and Switzerland. Prepare your budget well if you’re visiting.
What is there to do in Finland in February?
You can go skiing, catch the Northern Lights, and do various winter activities!
When can you see the Northern Lights in Finland?
Yes, you can! You have to visit the Northern part of Finland, and you can clearly see this natural phenomenon between September and March.
What do they eat in Finland?
You can check our post about foods to try in Finland – you can read it here!
What clothes to wear in Finland in February?
February is the peak of winter in Finland. You must come prepared for the cold! Read our post about what to wear for winter – check it out here. You can also check our guide on what jacket to buy and as well what travel shoes to wear!
What do they drink in Finland?
Finnish people are huge beer drinkers. On top of that, they also consume a lot of milk.
What is the best time of year to go to Finland?
All year round is a good time to visit, but depending on what activities you want to do, that can absolutely depend. November to March is winter, April to May is spring, June to August is summer, and September and October is autumn.
OUR TOP TRAVEL GUIDES & TIPS
Discover some of the best things to do in Tampere that includes one of Finland’s most exciting experiences like going to public saunas, enjoying at Särkkäniemi amusement park, and having fresh donuts at Pyynikki Observation Tower. Read this post to learn more about the attractions in Tampere!
Do you want to know which is the best public sauna in Helsinki to go and release some steam after a long day of exploring? Check this post and learn more!
Visit one of Helsinki’s top attraction which most tourist flock their way to, Suomenlinna Sea Fortress is a gem just outside of the capital of Finland.
Interested to visit Helsinki but also want to see Finland’s nature? Nuuksio National Park is only an hour away from the capital! Perfect for a day hike!
Located in a quaint neighborhood in a residential area in Helsinki, Kulttuurisaina promises its customers a relaxing and calming sauna experience.
The latest addition to Helsinki’s growing trend of making public sauna an urban culture, Löyly Helsinki is the latest gem in this infamous capital.