Macedonia Vacation Ideas
Quick Facts & Travel Tips
- Capital City? Skopje
- Currency? Macedonian Denar
- Language(s)? Macedonian, Albanian
- Where is this country located? The Balkans, Southeast Europe
- What is Macedonia famous for? It has the oldest lake in the world (Ohrid) and worlds deepest underwater cave
- Best time to visit Macedonia and seasons? The peak season is in Summer (June to September) and is also a good time to visit if you don’t mind the crowd. However, Spring (April to May) and Autumn (October to November) are also good times to visit as the weather remains warm during the day and cool during the night but there will be fewer crowds and possibly cheaper accommodation and tours.
- Transportation in Macedonia? Bus and trains run around the country
- International Airport(s)? Skopje International Airport (SKG)
- Which side of the road do they drive? Right-hand side
- What is the electricity plug type? Types C and F. 230V. Read our travel adapter reviews!
- Neighboring countries? Albania, Kosovo, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Greece
Do you need a visa for Macedonia?
Citizens from the EU, the USA, and the Schengen area can enter Macedonia with no visa and can stay up to 90 days within six months period.
Citizens from Argentina, Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Botswana, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Cuba, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Canada, Costa Rica, Chile, Malta, Monaco, Mexico, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Turkey, Russia, Peru, Serbia, Uruguay, New Zealand, Kosovo, Peru, Panama, Montenegro, and Venezuela can travel to Macedonia without a visa if they stay less than 90 days.
Other countries not mentioned above need a visa to enter Macedonia. Alternatively, if you’re visiting multiple countries in Europe, it is best to apply for a Schengen visa and you’re free to enter Macedonia for up to 14 days.
You can read our guide on how to apply for a Schengen visa – read it here.
Where to book your flights to Macedonia?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need travel insurance for Macedonia?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.