Portugal Vacation Ideas
Quick Facts & Travel Tips
- Capital City? Lisbon
- Currency? Euro
- Languages? Portuguese
- Where is this place? Western Europe
- What is Portugal famous for? Port Wine, Football, Surfing, Architecture, Castles, Piri Piri Chicken, Christopher Columbus, Beaches, and Portuguese Custard Tarts (Pastéis de Nata)
- Best time to visit Portugal? Spring (March to May) or Autumn (September to October) would be the best time to visit Portugal as it is low season, the weather is pleasant, and the prices are down. Summer is the peak season and there would be tons of crowds.
- How to get there? You can easily fly to most international airports in Portugal especially in Lisbon. You can also come by cruise, by bus, by train, and by car by crossing the border from Spain.
- Which side of the road do they drive? The right-hand side.
- What electric plugs do they use? Types C and F. If you need one, read this post.
- Neighboring countries? Spain
Do you need a visa for Portugal?
In order to enter Portugal, you need to have a valid Schengen visa. If you’re a citizen of the EU group of countries, you can enter Portugal without a visa. However, if you’re a citizen of Canada, the USA, New Zealand, and Australia – you can stay in Schengen areas for 90 days.
Check out our detailed guide on how to apply for a Schengen visa – read it here.
Where to book your flights to Portugal?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need travel insurance for Portugal?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.