Inspiring Travel Quotes: The 111 Quotes About Travel and Wanderers
Aren’t we all a sucker for inspiring travel quotes?
I know I am! There was a point in my life when I lived by them. Whenever I read a book and find quotes about travel or life, I write them on a piece of paper, plaster it on my wall, and read it for daily inspiration – they are motivational and indeed helped brighten my day.
Let these inspiring travel quotes fuel your desire for an adventure, too!
Not everyone has the courage to step out of their comfort world to travel the world, some need a little push or encouragement, and that is one of the many reasons why I created this blog space. To inspire and fuel your desire for travel.
I do believe that traveling is for everyone, a little different idea from one person to another but with one initial goal in mind – to experience new things. We all travel the world because we want to see new places, taste new flavors, learn new cultures, be away from the norms, and many other reasons. But we all have that one desire indeed and we’re hungry for it. Adventure.
Mind over matter. Don’t think too much!
I was in your position once and though many things in life made me start traveling, looking for motivation to just do it is NOT one of them. Guys, motivation is seriously just an excuse for the lazies, when you see something, when you get inspired, when you want to achieve your goals, just go and do it!
Also, while you’re going through this list, the photos are pinnable! Make sure to pin these travel quotes so everytime you open Pinterest, you’ll have a lovely boost of inspiration.
Table of Contents
- 1 Here’re the most inspiring travel quotes of all time!
- 2 Are you on Pinterest? Pin these for later read!
Here’re the most inspiring travel quotes of all time!
Remember that all images in this post are pinnable so pin away so you’ll remember some of the quotes later on!
Top inspiring travel quotes
I want to tell you a story, every day I wake up in the morning feeling energized from all the positivity that surrounds me and it is such a blessing to greet life with a smile. And just like any other day, I head on to start my day with a cup of coffee and read a bit about the world and stumble upon a post containing great travel the world quotes from some of my favorite world travelers that made me want to just head on, pack my bags and travel the world.
1. “All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.” – Samuel Johnson
2. “Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.” – Frank Herbert
3. “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” – Henry David Thoreau
4. “The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.” – Samuel Johnson
5. “Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.” – Lawrence Block
6. “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury
7. “Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” – Miriam Beard
8. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
9. “Your true traveler finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty-his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure.” – Aldous Huxley
10. “To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark
11. “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” – Mohammed
12. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware.” – Martin Buber
13. “All that is gold does not glitter; just as not all those who wander are lost.” – JRR Tolkien
14. “Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” – Benjamin Disraeli
15. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
16. “Once a year, go somewhere you have never been before.” – Dalai Lama
17. “Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse.” – Thomas Fuller
18. “Great things are done when men and mountains meet.” – William Blake
19. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
20. “If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness and fears.” – Cesare Paves
Travel the world quotes
I know that there are tons of quotes about traveling on the internet but I just can’t help myself to compile a bunch of these travel quotes for you my dear readers. I want all of you to feel the strong feeling of reading some of this.
That’s why I created this list of best travel quotes to INSPIRE you to get out there and be awesome. However, don’t wait till you find the right travel quote to get you started, read all of them and absorb the positive energy and good vibes – let it swoon you and then GO. Keep dreaming, Y’all but never forget to work hard to achieve your dreams because I know I will and with the help of little inspiration, we all will.
21. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
22. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveller only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
23. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
24. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
25. “It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.” – Ursula K. Le Guin
26. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
27. “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”– Greg Anderson
28. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other places, other lives, other souls.” – Anais Nin
29. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
30. “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
31. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” – Lau Tzu
32. “No matter where you are, you’re always a bit on your own, always an outsider.” – Banana Yoshimoto
33. “We leave something of ourselves behind when we leave a place, we stay there, even though we go away. And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there.” – Pascal Mercier
34. “The wish to travel seems to me characteristically human: the desire to move, to satisfy your curiosity or ease your fears, to change the circumstances of your life, to be a stranger, to make a friend, to experience an exotic landscape, to risk the unknown.” – Paul Theroux
35. “When one is traveling, everything looks brighter and lovelier. That does not mean it IS brighter and lovelier; it just means that sweet, kindly home suffers in comparison to tarted-up foreign places with all their jewels on.” – Catherynne M. Valente
36. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
37. “So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don’t be sorry” – Jack Kerouac
38. “In books, I have traveled, not only to other worlds but into my own.” – Anna Quindlen
39. “It is always sad to leave a place to which one knows one will never return. Such are the melancolies du voyage: perhaps they are one of the most rewarding things about traveling.” – Gustave Flaubert
40. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” – Anita Desai
Famous travel quotes
Wondering when and where to start your adventures? Well, somewhere is better than nowhere.
For instance, are you a romantic? Then make it a goal to visit some of Europe’s romantic destinations, for example. Perhaps you’re an art fanatic, then make it a goal to visit some of the cities in the world with the most stunning architecture and be overwhelmed by their beauty!
Out of budget? Don’t worry! There are tons of countries in the world that will certainly stretch your budget without getting broke. There are even tons of beautiful small towns around the world you can visit, or walk the same roads the great writers who wrote some of the inspiring travel quotes in this post once strolled by. Truthfully, it is an endless journey. You just have to seriously start somewhere.
Traveler quotes are usually inspiring because there’s a hint of sarcasm in some of them that will just literally make you chuckle inside because you know, as a traveler yourself, that these are true.
41. “Make voyages. Attempt them. There’s nothing else.” – Tennessee Williams
42. “To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
43. “The journey itself is my home.” – Bashō Matsuo
44. “I can speak to my soul only when the two of us are off exploring deserts or cities or mountains or roads.” – Paulo Coelho
45. “I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
46. “The impulse to travel is one of the hopeful symptoms of life.” – Agnes Repplier
47. “Travel empties out everything you’ve into the box called your life, all the things you accumulate to tell you who you are” – Claire Fontaine
48. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Augustine of Hippo
49. “Travellers understand, instinctively and by experience, that travel and adventure change and elongate time, even while navigating the deadlines of airline and train departures.” – Paul Sheehan
50. “When you’re traveling, you are what you are, right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat-Moon
51. “You can’t control the past, but you can control where you go next.” – Kirsten Hubbard
52. “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.” – Wendell Berry
53. “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” – Terry Pratchett
54. “Travel brings wisdom only to the wise. It renders the ignorant more ignorant than ever.” – Joe Abercrombie
55. “We wandered in a frenzy and a dream.” – Jack Kerouac
56. “Adventure is allowing the unexpected to happen to you. Exploration is experiencing what you have not experienced before. How can there be any adventure, any exploration, if you let somebody else – above all, a travel bureau – arrange everything before-hand?” – Richard Aldington
57. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
58. “I think one travels more usefully when they travel alone, because they reflect more.” – Thomas Jefferson
59. “Journeys are the midwives of thought. Few places are more conducive to internal conversations than moving planes, ships or trains.” – Alain de Botton
60. “The farther you go, however, the harder it is to return. The world has many edges, and it’s easy to fall off.” – Anderson Cooper
Travel alone quotes
One of the many things I’m really grateful for is the fact that along compiling all these quotes about traveling, I also went full-on creative and made beautiful images to go along each of these lovely words of encouragement.
Also, you can pin them if you want to so you always have a little hamlet of inspiration everytime you open Pinterest for inspiration.
61. “The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.” – Christopher McCandless
62. “Everything I was I carry with me, everything I will be lies waiting on the road ahead.” – Ma Jian
63. “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go.” – Anthony Bourdain
64. “I wonder if the ocean smells different on the other side of the world.” – J.A. Redmerski
65. “I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
66. “How many cities have revealed themselves to me in the marches I undertook in the pursuit of books!” – Walter Benjamin
67. “I address you all tonight for who you truly are: wizards, mermaids, travelers, adventurers, and magicians. You are the true dreamers.” – Brian Selznick
68. “Don’t let your luggage define your travels, each life unravels differently.” – Shane L. Koyczan
69. “Wherever you go, you take yourself with you.” – Neil Gaiman
70. “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” – Clifton Fadiman
71. “Travel brings power and love back into your life.” – Jalaluddin Rumi
72. “Traveling outgrows its motives. It soon proves sufficient in itself. You think you are making a trip, but soon it is making you – or unmaking you.” – Nicolas Bouvier
73. “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life” – Jack Kerouac
74. “Every one of a hundred thousand cities around the world had its own special sunset and it was worth going there, just once, if only to see the sun go down.” – Ryū Murakami
75. “The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see.” – G.K. Chesterton
76. “A journey, after all, neither begins in the instant we set out, nor ends when we have reached our doorstep once again. It starts much earlier and is really never over, because the film of memory continues running on inside of us long after we have come to a physical standstill. Indeed, there exists something like a contagion of travel, and the disease is essentially incurable.” – Ryszard Kapuściński
77. “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
78. “This wasn’t a strange place; it was a new one.” – Paulo Coelho
79. “There’s something about arriving in new cities, wandering empty streets with no destination. I will never lose the love for the arriving, but I’m born to leave.” – Charlotte Eriksson
80. “Whither will my path yet lead me? This path is stupid, it goes in spirals, perhaps in circles, but whichever way it goes, I will follow it.” – Hermann Hesse
Inspirational travel quotes
I do not deny the fact that I do enjoy playing with words too but I still need to explore the deepest parts of the worlds to have the energy and passion in order to create quotable sentences.
This is why I have a true admiration towards all these traveler quotes. You can feel the experience in their words.
These best travel quotes truly can bring all the good times and as well the bad from your travels. All memories serve us good one way or another and it teaches us to grow as a person, there’s nothing wrong with remembering the foolishness you’ve once done.
81. “I read; I travel; I become.” – Derek Walcott
82. “If life is a journey then let my soul travel and share your pain.” – Santosh Kalwar
83. “I wandered everywhere, through cities and countries wide. And everywhere I went, the world was on my side.” – Roman Payne
84. “Maybe you had to leave in order to miss a place; maybe you had to travel to figure out how beloved your starting point was.” – Jodi Picoult
85. “We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.” – John Hope Franklin
85. “Whenever you go on a trip to visit foreign lands or distant places, remember that they are all someone’s home and backyard.” – Vera Nazarian
87. “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” – Mark Twain
88. “The journey is the destination.” – Dan Eldon
89. “Never did the world make a queen of a girl who hides in houses and dreams without traveling.” – Roman Payne
90. “A good traveler is one who knows how to travel with the mind.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
91. “Modern traveling is not traveling at all; it is merely being sent to a place, and very little different from becoming a parcel.” – John Ruskin
92. “Tourists went on holidays while travellers did something else. They travelled.” – Alex Garland
93. “Travel is the only context in which some people ever look around. If we spent half the energy looking at our own neighborhoods, we’d probably learn twice as much.” – Lucy R. Lippard
94. “Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground.” – Judith Thurman
95. “The journey is part of the experience – an expression of the seriousness of one’s intent. One doesn’t take the A train to Mecca.” – Antony Bourdain
96. “Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” – Pat Conroy
97. “The vast distances that separate the stars are providential. Beings and worlds are quarantined from one another. The quarantine is lifted only for those with sufficient self-knowledge and judgment to have safely traveled from star to star.” – Carl Sagan
98. “I had long ago learned that when you are the giant, alien visitor to a remote and foreign culture it is sort of your job to become an object of ridicule. It’s the least you can do, really, as a polite guest.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
99. “Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
100. “Nothing can be compared to the new life that the discovery of another country provides for a thoughtful person. Although I am still the same I believe to have changed to the bones.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
More inspiring travel quotes!
All these inspiring travel quotes are chosen wisely by me and I’m really hoping that it inspires you as it inspired me! Sometimes it is okay to be moved by some travel words spoken by amazing people who have stepped out of their comfort zones just to see the beauty of our pretty, wild world. To have a little piece of their wise words of motivation are worth reading!
These travel the world quotes are of course not just for the traveler in the heart but for everyone. Especially the ones who want to travel the world for the very first time, this is for you, please don’t be afraid! Once you’re on the road, the world is all yours.
For each traveler quotes mentioned in this post is meant to inspire YOU. Have a deep breath, take it easy, relax, and just think about all the positive memories you have from your previous travels. Relieve them in your consciousness and they will never leave you. They will forever be with you.
Of course, these are just simple quotes about traveling. What can it do to make you travel, right? These are just words. But let me tell you this, I never thought I’d love traveling until I went on my first adventure. Trust me, all will be good. So, don’t forget that when one day comes and you’ll wish to travel the world as well, don’t be hesitant. Just go.
101. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home.” – James A. Michener
102. “Never hesitate to go far away, beyond all seas, all frontiers, all countries, all beliefs.” – Amin Maalouf
103. ““Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain
104. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
105. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world” – Gustave Flaubert
106. “You thought too hard. Same with travel. You can’t work too much at it, or it feels like work. You have to surrender yourself to the chaos. To the accidents.” – Gayle Forman
107. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
108. “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” – Erol Ozan
109. “I think you travel to search and you come back home to find yourself there.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
110. “The value of your travels does not hinge on how many stamps you have in your passport when you get home — and the slow nuanced experience of a single country is always better than the hurried, superficial experience of forty countries.” – Rolf Potts
111. “A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.” – George Moore
Are you enjoying this quotes about traveling so far? Here are more posts for inspiration!
IS THIS THE KIND OF POST THAT INTEREST YOU?AWESOME! TICKLE YOUR WANDERLUST AND JOIN MY COMMUNITY OF TRAVEL ENTHUSIASTS AND NEVER MISS OUT A POST!
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these for later read!
- Did you like this inspiring travel quotes post?
- Would you like me to make more posts like this one?
- Which ones of these travel quotes did you like?
DISCLAIMER: There may be affiliate links attached in this post and if you decided to purchase from my links, I get a small commission at no extra charge to you. That commission helps to run this website and so on. If you’re interested to read more about this visual travel blog’s other ventures, please read my disclosure policy for more information.