Aren’t we all a sucker for the best travel quotes?
I know I am! There was a point in my life when I lived by them. Whenever I read a book and find quotes about life, I write them on a piece of paper, plaster it on my wall, and read it for daily inspiration – they are motivational and indeed helped brighten my day.
Let these inspiring travel quotes fuel your desire for an adventure, too!
Not everyone has the courage to step out of their comfort world to travel the world, some need a little push or encouragement, and that is one of the many reasons why I created this blog space. To inspire and fuel your desire for travel.
I do believe that travel (and these travelling quotes)is for everyone, a little different idea from one person to another but with one initial goal in mind – to experience new things. We all travel the world because we want to see new places, taste new flavors, learn new cultures, be away from the norms, and many other reasons. But we all have that one desire indeed and we’re hungry for it. Adventure.
Mind over matter. Don’t think too much!
I was in your position once and though many things in life made me start traveling, looking for motivation to just do it is NOT one of them. Guys, motivation is seriously just an excuse for the lazies, when you see something, when you get inspired, when you want to achieve your goals, just go and do it!
Also, while you’re going through this list of quotes about traveling, always be reminded that these are powerful words and you must understand that these must be used to motivate you so please enjoy this explore quotes we have compiled.
Table of Contents
100+ Travel Quotes from Famous People with Photos!
1. “All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he May learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.” – Samuel Johnson
2. “Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.” – Frank Herbert
3. “The man who goes alone can start today, but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” – Henry David Thoreau
4. “The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.” –Samuel Johnson
5. “Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.” –Lawrence Block
This post is so full of explore quotes more than you can imagine so please read ahead and find inspiration from this post! Enjoy these quotes about traveling and share the ones you like on Pinterest.
6. “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury
7. “Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” – Miriam Beard
8. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
9. “Your true traveler finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty-his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure.” – Aldous Huxley
10. “To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark
This list of the best quotes on travel is compiled with one goal in mind – to keep a positive atmosphere in this blog! I’ve had so much fun looking for the best quotes to put in here and I’ll keep updating it whenever I find amazing quotes by famous authors!
Awesome explore quotes
11. “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have traveled.” – Mohammed
12. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
13. “All that is gold does not glitter; just as not all those who wander are lost.” – JRR Tolkien
14. “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” – Benjamin Disraeli
15. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
I’ve read a lot of quotes about traveling and I must say that almost all quotes by JRR Tokien always hits the spot and by far some of the favorite travel quotes I’ve added in this list!
16. “Once a year, go somewhere you have never been before.” – Dalai Lama
17. “Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse.” – Thomas Fuller
18. “Great things are done when men and mountains meet.” – William Blake
19. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
20. “If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness and fears.” – Cesare Paves
You’ve gone almost 1/3 of the list, so far, which of these travelling quotes did you like the best? There are so many awesome authors who quotes travel and we’ve compiled them all in here.
Top exploring quotes
21. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
22. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
23. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
24. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
25. “It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.” – Ursula K. Le Guin
As I mentioned above, some of my favorite quotes on traveling are from JRR Tolkien but there are also amazing quotes by Mark Twain (like number 23) that really makes you think!
26. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
27. “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”– Greg Anderson
28. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other places, other lives, other souls.” –Anais Nin
29. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
30. “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
Some of the safe travel quotes to use out there are the ones that speaks about looking for yourself at your own pace and not necessarily speaking about going on a holiday or vacation because the best journey we have is the life we are living right now.
31. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” – Lau Tzu
32. “No matter where you are, you’re always a bit on your own, always an outsider.” – Banana Yoshimoto
Good travel read: Places to See in Europe: The Most Picturesque Mountain Towns in Europe
33. “We leave something of ourselves behind when we leave a place, we stay there, even though we go away. And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there.” – Pascal Mercier
34. “The wish to travel seems to me characteristically human: the desire to move, to satisfy your curiosity or ease your fears, to change the circumstances of your life, to be a stranger, to make a friend, to experience an exotic landscape, to risk the unknown.” – Paul Theroux
35. “When one is traveling, everything looks brighter and lovelier. That does not mean it IS brighter and lovelier; it just means that sweet, kindly home suffers in comparison to tarted-up foreign places with all their jewels on.” – Catherynne M. Valente
As a solo female traveler, I sometimes find myself attracted to solo travel quotes to keep me motivated to go on push my limits to see up to how long I can keep this specific lifestyle. These inspirational travel quotes are trully amazing.
36. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
37. “So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don’t be sorry” – Jack Kerouac
38. “In books, I have traveled, not only to other worlds but into my own.” – Anna Quindlen
39. “It is always sad to leave a place to which one knows one will never return. Such are the melancolies du voyage: perhaps they are one of the most rewarding things about traveling.” – Gustave Flaubert
40. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” – Anita Desai
Number 37 by Jack Kerouac talks about world traveling quotes and inspires you to keep on following what your heart desire and to live without regrets.
41. “Make voyages. Attempt them. There’s nothing else.” – Tennessee Williams
42. “To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
43. “The journey itself is my home.” – Bashō Matsuo
44. “I can speak to my soul only when the two of us are off exploring deserts or cities or mountains or roads.” – Paulo Coelho
45. “I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
I’ve read a lot of travel the world quotes (as you see, this is a very long list of quotes!) and sometimes the simplest ones are by far the best!
46. “The impulse to travel is one of the hopeful symptoms of life.” – Agnes Repplier
47. “Travel empties out everything you’ve into the box called your life, all the things you accumulate to tell you who you are” – Claire Fontaine
48. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Augustine of Hippo
49. “Travellers understand, instinctively and by experience, that travel and adventure change and elongate time, even while navigating the deadlines of airline and train departures.” – Paul Sheehan
50. “When you’re traveling, you are what you are, right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat-Moon
Even scholars and philosophers from way back in history quote about travel just like Augustine of Hippo who probably quoted one of the most recognized travel quote of all: “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”.
51. “You can’t control the past, but you can control where you go next.” – Kirsten Hubbard
52. “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.” – Wendell Berry
53. “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” – Terry Pratchett
54. “Travel brings wisdom only to the wise. It renders the ignorant more ignorant than ever.” – Joe Abercrombie
55. “We wandered in a frenzy and a dream.” – Jack Kerouac
The best travel quotes out there are best used when you’re lacking inspiration. Believe it or not, I do read this post everynowandthen whenever I feel blue!
Some of the best quote about travel are truly motivating.
56. “Adventure is allowing the unexpected to happen to you. Exploration is experiencing what you have not experienced before. How can there be any adventure, any exploration, if you let somebody else – above all, a travel bureau – arrange everything before-hand?” – Richard Aldington
57. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
58. “I think one travels more usefully when they travel alone because they reflect more.” – Thomas Jefferson
59. “Journeys are the midwives of thought. Few places are more conducive to internal conversations than moving planes, ships or trains.” – Alain de Botton
60. “The farther you go, however, the harder it is to return. The world has many edges, and it’s easy to fall off.” – Anderson Cooper
Again, as a solo female traveler, I treasure travel alone quotes to keep me motivated! These travel the world quotes makes amazing inpiration for a lot of people.
World traveling quotes
61. “The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.” – Christopher McCandless
62. “Everything I was I carry with me, everything I will be lies waiting on the road ahead.” – Ma Jian
63. “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on the floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go.” –Anthony Bourdain
64. “I wonder if the ocean smells different on the other side of the world.” – J.A. Redmerski
65. “I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
A lot of these quotes can be an awesome travelling caption for Instagram! Read more and perhaps you’ll find one to go with your next photo.
66. “How many cities have revealed themselves to me in the marches I undertook in the pursuit of books!” – Walter Benjamin
67. “I address you all tonight for who you truly are: wizards, mermaids, travelers, adventurers, and magicians. You are the true dreamers.” – Brian Selznick
68. “Don’t let your luggage define your travels, each life unravels differently.” – Shane L. Koyczan
69. “Wherever you go, you take yourself with you.” – Neil Gaiman
70. “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” – Clifton Fadiman
Carefully choosing these inspirational travel quotes was a tedious yet rewarding job and I really hope that you’re enjoying it so far!
71. “Travel brings power and love back into your life.” – Jalaluddin Rumi
72. “Traveling outgrows its motives. It soon proves sufficient in itself. You think you are making a trip, but soon it is making you – or unmaking you.” – Nicolas Bouvier
73. “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life” – Jack Kerouac
74. “Every one of a hundred thousand cities around the world had its own special sunset and it was worth going there, just once, if only to see the sun go down.” – Ryū Murakami
75. “The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see.” –G.K. Chesterton
As I mentioned above, some of the best quotes are short travel quotes that is packed with deep meanings!
Quotes on traveling
76. “A journey, after all, neither begins in the instant we set out nor ends when we have reached our doorstep once again. It starts much earlier and is really never over because the film of memory continues running on inside of us long after we have come to a physical standstill. Indeed, there exists something like a contagion of travel, and the disease is essentially incurable.” –Ryszard Kapuściński
77. “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
78. “This wasn’t a strange place; it was a new one.” – Paulo Coelho
79. “There’s something about arriving in new cities, wandering empty streets with no destination. I will never lose the love for the arriving, but I’m born to leave.” –Charlotte Eriksson
80. “Whither will my path yet lead me? This path is stupid, it goes in spirals, perhaps in circles, but whichever way it goes, I will follow it.” – Hermann Hesse
So, you’ve gone this far, which these authors that quotes travel you think sends the message well?
Travel with friends quotes
81. “I read; I travel; I become.” – Derek Walcott
82. “If life is a journey then let my soul travel and share your pain.” – Santosh Kalwar
83. “I wandered everywhere, through cities and countries wide. And everywhere I went, the world was on my side.” – Roman Payne
84. “Maybe you had to leave in order to miss a place; maybe you had to travel to figure out how beloved your starting point was.” – Jodi Picoult
85. “We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.” – John Hope Franklin
Do you enjoy some of these exploring quotes in this list? They really do impress you, don’t they?
85. “Whenever you go on a trip to visit foreign lands or distant places, remember that they are all someone’s home and backyard.” – Vera Nazarian
87. “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” – Mark Twain
88. “The journey is the destination.” – Dan Eldon
89. “Never did the world make a queen of a girl who hides in houses and dreams without traveling.” – Roman Payne
90. “A good traveler is one who knows how to travel with the mind.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
Some of my favorite famours travel quotes are from the late Anthony Bourdain. As a professeional chef turned full-time travel blogger, I always looked up to him and hoped to one day walk the same road he has.
91. “Modern traveling is not traveling at all; it is merely being sent to a place and very little different from becoming a parcel.” – John Ruskin
92. “Tourists went on holidays while travelers did something else. They traveled.” – Alex Garland
93. “Travel is the only context in which some people ever look around. If we spent half the energy looking at our own neighborhoods, we’d probably learn twice as much.” – Lucy R. Lippard
94. “Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground.” – Judith Thurman
95. “The journey is part of the experience – an expression of the seriousness of one’s intent. One doesn’t take the A train to Mecca.” – Anthony Bourdain
Just like number 95 as an example, Anthony Bourdain quotes on travel and happy travel quotes really hits the adventurer spot in me. It is so true, journey is indeed part of the experience.
96. “Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” –Pat Conroy
97. “The vast distances that separate the stars are providential. Beings and worlds are quarantined from one another. The quarantine is lifted only for those with sufficient self-knowledge and judgment to have safely traveled from star to star.” – Carl Sagan
98. “I had long ago learned that when you are the giant, alien visitor to a remote and foreign culture it is sort of your job to become an object of ridicule. It’s the least you can do, really, as a polite guest.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
99. “Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
100. “Nothing can be compared to the new life that the discovery of another country provides for a thoughtful person. Although I am still the same I believe to have changed to the bones.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
That said, Elizabeth Gilbert, the famous author behind Eat, Pray, Love quotes about traveling in her book (it is a travel book after all) and number 98 explains how we all feel whenever we enter a new destination. These quotes about travel and life are so beautiful.
101. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home.” – James A. Michener
102. “Never hesitate to go far away, beyond all seas, all frontiers, all countries, all beliefs.” – Amin Maalouf
103. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain
104. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
105. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world” – Gustave Flaubert
106. “You thought too hard. Same with travel. You can’t work too much at it, or it feels like work. You have to surrender yourself to the chaos. To the accidents.” –Gayle Forman
107. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
108. “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” – Erol Ozan
109. “I think you travel to search and you come back home to find yourself there.” –Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
110. “The value of your travels does not hinge on how many stamps you have in your passport when you get home — and the slow nuanced experience of a single country is always better than the hurried, superficial experience of forty countries.” – Rolf Potts
111. “A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.” – George Moore
This is the end of this friends and travel quotes compilation and I hope you liked it!