Things to do in Svalbard (Norway)
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please read our disclosure policy.
A group of islands that stand between the Norwegian Sea, Greenland Sea, Barents Sea, and the Arctic Ocean, Svalbard has been under Norwegian rule since as early as 1920. The settlements found here are the northernmost spots on Earth that are permanently inhabited.
Their location is further to the north than any of the settlements in Alaska while only a few of the Arctic Islands in Canada can claim to lie any further. The permanent population of the islands does not even reach a count of 3000 and is primarily concentrated in the major settlements of Barentsburg and Longyearbyen on Spitsbergen.
Visitors who travel to Norway Svalbard come here mostly for the experience of an Arctic nature that is at its most potent and rawest state. Apart from the craggy mountains and untouched glaciers, the islands are also home to a fantastic collection of wildlife such as walruses, seals, whales, polar foxes, reindeer, caribou, and polar bears.
Useful travel tips for every traveler (Budget or not!)
→ Learn how to find cheap flights: Read our Skyscanner guide on how to find flights!
→ Save money and use Airbnb: Get up to 26USD in credit to use on your next stay, use this link to avail this!
→ Get some money back from your hotel bookings: Use this Booking.com discount code and for every 50USD worth of hotel bookings, you will get 10% of your money back!
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick information and Oslo travel tips
- 2 Where to stay in Oslo?
- 3 Short in time? Go sightseeing in Oslo on tour!
- 4 Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- 5 Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
Quick information and Oslo travel tips
- Currency? Norwegian Krona
- Languages? Norwegian and English
- Where is this place? Located in Southern Norway
- What is Oslo famous for? Skiing, The Royals, and architecture.
- Best time to visit Oslo? All year round. But if you’re not a fan of winter, come in summer, spring, or autumn. The weather won’t be extreme but mind that spring and autumn might be wet from the rain. Just make sure to bring a good winter jacket and travel shoes with you!
- How to get there? You can take the plane if you’re coming abroad or other big cities in Norway. Otherwise, you can also come by cruise or train (from other big cities).
- Other famous places in Norway? Oslo, Tromsø, Åleslund, Trondheim, Svalbard, Stavanger, Lofoten Islands, Bergen, West Fjords, Bodø, Fredrikstad, Alta, Røros, Helgeland, and Jotunheimen National Park. You can check all the top places to visit in Norway, click this to read the post.
- Famous neighboring countries? Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, and Finland
- Other European cities similar to Oslo? Stockholm, Copenhagen, Reykjavik, and Helsinki
Do you need a visa for Norway?
Norway is part of the Schengen area and citizens of EU group of countries can freely enter this Baltic state while citizens of USA, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia can enter the country just with their passports and stay for 90 days.
You can check our guide on how to get a Schengen visa and as well to see if you’re eligible to enter the country with just your passports or if you’ll need to apply for a visa prior entry – read it here.
Where to book your flights to Oslo?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need insurance?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.
Where to stay in Oslo?
Short in time? Go sightseeing in Oslo on tour!
Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- Best Carry On Backpack: Top Weekender Backpack Reviews
- Best Luggage: Top Suitcase Reviews
- Backpacking Minimalist: How to Travel with Less (Minimalist Travel)
- Minimalist packing list for women
- Minimalist packing list for men
- Backpack vs Luggage: Which One to Use for Long Term Travel
Important travel tips and tricks:
- Before Flight Travel Checklist: Make Sure You Have Everything You Need!
- How to Find Cheap Flights Everywhere (Using Skyscanner)
- Why You Should Get a Travel Insurance for Your Next Adventure
- Hotel, Hostel, Airbnb, or Guesthouse: Which One to Choose for Accommodation?
- Top Travel Tips to Use When You Get to Your Destination
Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
- Best Cities in Europe to Visit: Top Weekend Getaways in Europe!
- Best Cities to Visit in Asia: Top 20 Beautiful and Best Cities to Travel in Asia
- European Honeymoon: The Most Romantic Destinations in Europe
- Inspirational Travel Quotes: The 111 Amazing Travelling Quotes
- Best Nature Quotes: Top 35 Quotes About Nature and Life