Honestly speaking, I am an avid traveler. When I quit my regular full-time job, the first thought that ever came in my mind is to go and see the world.
Luckily, I have managed to make it my career and a source of income. As a travel blogger, I think, I talk, and obviously share my stories through this blog and share very important information to my valuable followers. The moments I travel and mingle with different kinds of people, I just cannot express what I want to say. Hence, I have come across several unusual travel words with beautiful meanings so I can further expand my travel vocabulary, and of course, to quench my feeling of anxiety.
I love different languages and I love traveling. When I encounter a treasure of unusual words with beautiful meanings and synonyms of wanderlust, you can feel my excitement as these creative travel words describe our feelings during, before, and after visiting a new destination.
Just like a photo is not enough to describe the feeling when you stand on the tip of a creek, the term ‘wanderlust’ is not enough to express our feelings when we desperately need to go for next adventure.
These foreign words with beautiful meanings are really the gems collected from different languages spoken across the world. From Swedish to Japanese, Greek to Latin, it is sure that travel brochures will be loaded with unusual travel words to describe travel experience in the future like livsnjutare, resfeber and so on.
Every language has its own variation to explain and define your travel experience and your wanderlust. The world ‘wanderlust’ refers to a strong desire or impulse to wander, travel, and see the world.
When I started doing my homework and searching for those adjectives for travel words, the more I gone appealed to them as they could, somehow, convey our emotions and feelings the way better than what English could not do. So, without further ado, listed here is the list of appealing and most creative travel words for travel lovers.
NOTE: All of the photos in this post are pinnable, just hover and you can pin it right away for inspiration later!
Here's the latest travel deals we got for you
→ Save money on Airbnb. Use our link to sign up and you'll get $33 off your first booking and an additional $12 off if you book/buy tours and experiences from Airbnb. Thanks over $47 of savings!
→ Find great deals on hotels on Booking.com! We found great discounts from this hotel booking website and has scored few luxury hotels that are up to 50% off. If you've used them enough, you'll get an access to more deals and discounts.
Travel Words: Top 30 Unusual Words with Beautiful Meanings
1. Fernweh (n.) Farsickness. An urge to travel even stronger than wanderlust.
2. Resfeber (n.) The tangled feelings of fear and excitement before a journey begins.
3. Dérive (v.) To drift unplanned, led only by the landscape and architecture around you.
4. Schwellenangst (n.) Fear of crossing a threshold to embark on something new.
5. Sehnsucht (n.) A wistful longing and yearning in the heart for travels that have been and travels to come.
Words that describe travel
6. Eleutheromania (n.) The intense desire for freedom.
7. Livsnjutare (n.) Someone who loves life deeply and lives it to the extreme.
8. Yūgen (n.) An awareness of the universe that triggers emotional responses too deep and mysterious for words.
9. Sonder (n.) The realization every person is living their own vivid life.
10. Onism (n.) Awareness of how little of the world you’ll experience.
Words to describe travel experience
11. Novaturient (adj.) A desire to change and alter your life.
12. Selcouth (adj.) Strange and uncommon, the way you see things when you travel.
13. Eudaimonia (n.) The contented happy stated we feel when we travel.
14. Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.
15. Flâneur (n.) Someone who strolls aimlessly but enjoyable, observing life and the surroundings.
Creative travel words
16. Vorfreude (n.) The joyful, intense anticipation that comes from imagining future pleasures.
17. Peregrinate (v.) Travel or wander around from place to place.
18. Querencia (n.) The place where you are your most authentic self, from where strength is drawn, where you feel at home.
19. Sturmfrei (adj.) The freedom of being alone, the ability to do what you want.
20. Nefelibata (n.) “Cloud-Walker”. One who lives in the clouds of their own imagination, or who does not obey the conventions of society, literature or art. An unconventional person.
Foreign words with beautiful meanings
21. Vagary (n.) A wandering or roaming journey.
22. Trouvaille (n.) Something lovely found by chance.
23. Numinous (adj.) Being both fearful and awed by what you see before you.
24. Strikhedonia (n.) The joy of being able to say “the hell with it”.
25. Hygge (n.) The cozy feeling of relaxing with friends while having a meal or drinks.
Word for travel lover
26. Waldeinsamkeit (n.) The feeling of being alone in the woods.
27. Meraki (adj.) Putting a part of yourself into what you’re doing.
28. Forelsket (adj.) The euphoria you experience when you are first falling in love.
29. Yu yi The desire to feel things just as intensely as you did when you were younger — before expectations, before memory, before words.
30. Solivagant (n.) Wandering alone.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read our disclosure policy.
Did you liked this post?
Join our newsletter community and get deals, sales, and our latest tips! Promise we wont send spam or misuse your email address.