Top 10 Iconic Places to Visit in the USA
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please read our disclosure policy.
“The Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.” There is nobody else who can claim this slogan other than the most powerful country in the world, the United States of America. But the USA, aside from its military prowess and economic power, is also home to something that all citizens in the world can enjoy and appreciate: travel destinations.
Indeed, these iconic places to visit in USA seem to be a dime a dozen.
This is no surprise considering the sheer size of the country. Considering this, it’s obvious how tourists can get confused when deciding on which places to visit in the USA.
In this article, we’ll be listing down some of the best vacation spots in the USA, to help you get started with your holiday!
But first, if you’re interested in learning about financial tips while traveling in the USA, here’s a good post on how to be a thrifty traveler!
Now that you know how to be thrifty, read further and read more about the top places to visit in USA!
Useful travel tips for every traveler (Budget or not!)
→ Learn how to find cheap flights: Read our Skyscanner guide on how to find flights!
→ Save money and use Airbnb: Get up to 26USD in credit to use on your next stay, use this link to avail this!
→ Get some money back from your hotel bookings: Use this Booking.com discount code and for every 50USD worth of hotel bookings, you will get 10% of your money back!
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick facts and USA travel tips
- 2 Find accommodations in the USA
- 3 Find the best tours in the USA
- 4 Top 10 Iconic Places to Visit in USA
- 4.1 Yellowstone National Park
- 4.2 Times Square in Manhattan, New York
- 4.3 Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida
- 4.4 Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California
- 4.5 The Grand Canyon, Arizona
- 4.6 Mount Rushmore in Keystone, South Dakota
- 4.7 French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana
- 4.8 Las Vegas Strip in Las Vegas Valley, Nevada
- 4.9 Niagara Falls, New York
- 4.10 Statue of Liberty in New York, New York
- 5 Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- 6 Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
- 7 Other destinations to visit in Europe
- 8 Are you on Pinterest? Pin these for later read!
Quick facts and USA travel tips
Quick facts about the USA?
- Capital City? Washington, D.C
- Currency? US dollars
- Languages? English, Spanish
- Where is this place? North America
- How to get there? You can easily fly to many State capital from around the world. You can also cross the border by land from Canada and Mexico. There are also loads of cruises that go from Europe to the States.
- Neighboring countries? Canada and Mexico
Do you need a visa for the USA?
There are a different type of visas if you want to enter the USA:
- Non-immigrant visa – tourism, business, work, visiting family members, or for studies
- Immigrant visa – for those who would like to immigrate to the USA
To make things a bit more interesting when it comes to applying for a non-immigrant visa, there are also different types of visas and waivers depending on your citizenship:
- If you belong to one of the countries above, you do not need to apply for a non-immigrant visa but you would need to apply for a Waiver Program also called ESTA. Here’s our step-by-step guide, click here.
- If you, however, is from the Republic of China then you need to apply for the EVUS visa.
- If you don’t belong in one of the countries above nor is a citizen of the Republic of China, you would need to apply for a B1 or B2 non-immigrant tourist visa.
Where to book your flights to the USA?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need travel insurance for the USA?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.
Find accommodations in the USA
Find the best tours in the USA
Top 10 Iconic Places to Visit in USA
Yellowstone National Park
The Yellowstone National Park, situated in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, is a 3,500-square-mile nature park widely known for its wildlife and geothermal features.
It is also famous for being the first national park in the USA, as well as the first national park in the whole world. It definitely is one of the best sightseeing places in the USA, due to its numerous tourist sites.
One of the most famous sites in Yellowstone is the Old Faithful, a geyser which always erupts at a set time. Another is Yellowstone Lake, where families and friends can enjoy fishing. Tourists also go to see the multi-colored water of the Grand Prismatic Hot Spring.
There are many activities that can be done in the Yellowstone National Park, such as camping, fishing, rafting, paddling, hunting for rocks, and even immersing yourself in Native American culture!
If you’re going to travel to the USA, the Yellowstone National Park is definitely a must-have on your itinerary.
Learn and read more about North America:
Times Square in Manhattan, New York
Who wouldn’t be familiar with the iconic Times Square in New York City, which hundreds of songs and movies have featured throughout the decades? Located in Manhattan, Times Square is home to several businesses and entertainment centers.
In fact, one of the things that make it stand out is the bright lights accompanying the multitude of billboards and advertisements plastered on its sky-high skyscrapers.
This busy commercial intersection receives over 360,000 pedestrians on any given day, and an estimated 50,000,000 visitors a year, making it one of the world’s most visited tourist attractions.
Your travel to the USA, especially if you’re passing by New York City, is certainly not complete without visiting this famous USA attraction.
Not to mention, if you’re short on time, you can always book interesting tours like a Gossip Girl tour in a pedicab in New York’s busy streets run by Central Park Tours! Check it out, they have interesting shindigs to offer around the big apple.
Learn and read more about NYC:
- Points of Interest: Where to Go and Places to Visit in New York City
- Top Tourist Attractions and Things to do in New York City (USA)
Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida
If you come to visit some of Florida’s theme parks and one of the most famous USA attractions, Walt Disney World, located in Florida, is an entertainment complex and resort owned by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
It is home to four theme parks, two resorts, and other attractions.
This 43-square-mile paradise has been receiving visitors since 1971. An average of 52 million tourists visits it every year, making it the most visited vacation resort, and one of the most famous USA tourist spots, in the whole world.
After all, who wouldn’t want to go to one of the famous iconic places to visit the USA if it’s “where wishes really do come true”?
Learn and read more about Florida:
- Points of Interest: What to See and Places to Visit in Florida (USA)
- Top Tourist Attractions and Things to do in Florida (U.S.A)
Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California
One of the most iconic American attractions is located in California, this 1.7-mile suspension bridge connects San Francisco Bay to Marin County in California, allowing travelers to pass over the Pacific Ocean.
Due to its size and history, the Golden Gate Bridge has become a widely-recognized symbol of San Francisco.
With its majestic design and grandeur, it is easy to see how this bridge is featured on countless postcards and photographs, and how it gained its spot in USA tourism.
The Grand Canyon, Arizona
The Grand Canyon, a river valley located in Arizona, is definitely one of the best tourist attractions in the USA. This steep-sided canyon is situated inside the Grand Canyon National Park and is said to have some of the cleanest air in the USA.
Whether or not this claim is true, however, it still cannot be denied that the Grand Canyon has a lot to offer to its four million annual tourists. You can go hiking, watch the sunset, visit ancient ruins, and even immerse yourself in Native American culture if you so wish.
If you’re interested in visiting The Wave in Arizona, make sure that you plan ahead and apply for the permit! Check this post out to know more about the process.
Mount Rushmore in Keystone, South Dakota
Completed in honor of Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln, Mount Rushmore National Park features a group of four faces carved into the side of a mountain.
The idea to convert Mount Rushmore – then more known by its local name, “Six Grandfathers”, into a tourist attraction in the USA was first suggested in 1923, however, actual work on the sculpture only began on 1927. They finished it in 14 years, first opening to the public in 1941.
Nowadays, it is considered one of the United States points of interest. If you’re going to ask where to visit in the USA, Mount Rushmore is bound to be included in the answers.
French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana
One of the USA’s National Historic Landmarks, the French Quarter is the oldest section of New Orleans City. Visitors here enjoy frolicking in the streets and enjoying the old-timey feels brought about by the 18th-century architecture found on almost every establishment here.
In fact, the French Quarter, or “the Quarter” as it is commonly known in the area, is famous for its traditional-style hotels that give off a historic feel. although over 3,000 people reside in the area, the French Quarter is opened up to the world as a tourist attraction in the USA.
Tourists who enjoy history and dream of traveling back in time would certainly enjoy walking in this district.
Las Vegas Strip in Las Vegas Valley, Nevada
Famous for its casinos, nightclubs, and various entertainment centers, Las Vegas certainly embodies the United States’ slogan: land of the free, home of the brave.
Its most famous section is the Las Vegas Strip, where world-famous establishments can be found. For shopping establishments, one example is the Bonanza Gift Shop, a 3,700 square-mile gift shop, the biggest in the world. Another is The Forum Shops at Cesar, a luxury mall with over 160 shops and 10 restaurants.
There are also entertainment establishments, like The Mirage, a resort and casino; Mandalay Bay, also a luxury resort and casino; and Bellagio, another luxury hotel, resort, and casino lining the Las Vegas Strip.
The first establishment on the strip was the El Rancho Vegas, which opened in 1941. Throughout the years, the Las Vegas Strip has risen in popularity, now receiving over 42 million visitors per year.
This makes it one of the top tourist attractions in the USA, as well as one of the top choices when deciding where to visit in the USA.
Niagara Falls, New York
Located on the border between the USA and Canada, the Niagara Falls is certainly a thing of beauty. Niagara is a collection of three different waterfalls: the Horseshoe Falls, the American Falls, and the Bridal Veil Falls. It is widely known for being a source of hydroelectric power for its surrounding areas, both on its USA and Canadian side.
Over 30 million visits it annually, partaking in different activities, like looking at the old fort, walking through the botanical garden and butterfly conservatory, enjoying the White Water Walk and Maid of the Mist, and simply taking in the beauty of this tourist destination.
For a nature-lover, this American attraction should definitely not be missed.
Statue of Liberty in New York, New York
Standing at the height of 151 feet, the Statue of Liberty is most probably one of the most iconic symbols in the whole United States of America. Its original name is La Liberté éclairant le Monde.
The Statue of Liberty, a work of art from French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi and Gustave Eiffel, creator of the Eiffel Tower, was originally a gift from France as a commemoration of the American Declaration of Independence.
It is now part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site list for its contribution to American history.
Four million people each year go to Liberty Island in order to see this colossal and iconic gift from France. Along with Times Square, this makes New York City as one of the top cities to visit in the USA.
Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- Best Carry On Backpack: Top Weekender Backpack Reviews
- Best Luggage: Top Suitcase Reviews
- Backpacking Minimalist: How to Travel with Less (Minimalist Travel)
- Minimalist packing list for women
- Minimalist packing list for men
- Backpack vs Luggage: Which One to Use for Long Term Travel
Important travel tips and tricks:
- Before Flight Travel Checklist: Make Sure You Have Everything You Need!
- How to Find Cheap Flights Everywhere (Using Skyscanner)
- Why You Should Get a Travel Insurance for Your Next Adventure
- Hotel, Hostel, Airbnb, or Guesthouse: Which One to Choose for Accommodation?
- Top Travel Tips to Use When You Get to Your Destination
Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
- Best Cities in Europe to Visit: Top Weekend Getaways in Europe!
- Best Cities to Visit in Asia: Top 20 Beautiful and Best Cities to Travel in Asia
- European Honeymoon: The Most Romantic Destinations in Europe
- Inspirational Travel Quotes: The 111 Amazing Travelling Quotes
- Best Nature Quotes: Top 35 Quotes About Nature and Life
Other destinations to visit in Europe
Portugal, France, Andorra, Spain, Greece, Italy, Malta, Gibraltar, Monaco, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, The Netherlands, The UK, Ireland, Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia an Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo, Bulgaria, Armenia, Albania, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, and Macedonia.
IS THIS THE KIND OF POST THAT INTEREST YOU?AWESOME! TICKLE YOUR WANDERLUST AND JOIN MY COMMUNITY OF TRAVEL ENTHUSIASTS AND NEVER MISS OUT A POST!
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these for later read!
- Have you been to any of these places to visit in Norway?
- If yes, which ones?
- If not, which ones you’d like to visit one day?
DISCLAIMER: There may be affiliate links attached in this post and if you decided to purchase from my links, I get a small commission at no extra charge to you. That commission helps to run this website and so on. If you’re interested to read more about this visual travel blog’s other ventures, please read my disclosure policy for more information.