Top 10 Things to do in Gothenburg (Sweden)
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please read our disclosure policy.
Gothenburg is known as the biggest city of Sweden situated on the Göta Älv River on the western coast of the country. Gothenburg is a well-known seaport, and it is famous for its Dutch-Style canals.
You can equally find the lush boulevard, and the city is nearby the shops and cafes. This place is fulfilled with so many tourists’ spots, and there are so many things to do in Gothenburg.
If you are planning to visit Gothenburg nearby places, you can reach out to various locations without any long travel.
For longer distance places like the seaside, you can get the Gothenburg card for public transportation. This card additionally offers free entries of many museums.
Over here are the list and guidelines of some more things to do in Gothenburg:
Useful travel tips for every traveler (Budget or not!)
→ Learn how to find cheap flights: Read our Skyscanner guide on how to find flights!
→ Save some money from your hotel bookings: Use this Booking.com link to find deals on hotels, hostels, and guesthouses. Another tip is tp sign-up for an account and refer friends and for every 50USD worth of hotel bookings, you will get 10% of your money back!
→ Save money and use Airbnb: Get up to 26USD in credit to use on your next stay, use this link to avail this!
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick information and Gothenburg travel tips
- 2 Where to stay in Gothenburg?
- 3 Short in time? Go sightseeing in Gothenburg on tour!
- 4 Experiences and top things to do in Gothenburg
- 4.1 Enjoy the Gothenburg’s canals with a boat
- 4.2 Explore The Gothenburg Museum of Art
- 4.3 Visit The Botanical Garden
- 4.4 Visit Slottsskogen
- 4.5 Explore The Maritiman
- 4.6 Visit Volvo Museum
- 4.7 Take a Walk Into The Masthugg Church
- 4.8 Take A Look At Gothenburg Opera House
- 4.9 Plan For A Trip To Vinga
- 4.10 Visit Delsjön
- 5 Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- 6 Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
Quick information and Gothenburg travel tips
- Currency? Swedish krona
- Languages? Swedish
- Where is this place? Located in the west coast, southwest of Sweden. Northern Europe.
- What is Sweden famous for? Skiing, Northern Lights, ABBA, meatballs, pickled herring, IKEA.
- Best time to visit Gothenburg and Sweden? All year round. But if you’re not a fan of winter, come in summer, spring, or autumn. The weather won’t be extreme but mind that spring and autumn might be wet from the rain. Just make sure to bring a good winter jacket and travel shoes with you!
- How to get there? The easiest and fastest way to get to Gothenburg from Stockholm is by plane (1hr) and the other convenient way is by train (3hrs). You can also take the bus (7hrs) or you can drive yourself (approx. 5hrs). You can also get to Gothenburg from Malmö by plane, train, bus, and by car.
- Other famous places in Sweden? Stockholm, Kalmar, Gammelstad, Ystad, Uppsala, Malmö, Swedish Lapland, Luelå, Kosterhavet, Gotland, Österlen, Lund, Marstrand, Skåne
- Famous neighboring countries? Norway, Denmark, Iceland, and Finland
Do you need a visa for Sweden?
Sweden is part of the Schengen area and citizens of EU group of countries can freely enter this Baltic state while citizens of USA, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia can enter the country just with their passports and stay for 90 days.
You can check our guide on how to get a Schengen visa and as well to see if you’re eligible to enter the country with just your passports or if you’ll need to apply for a visa prior entry – read it here.
Where to book your flights to Gothenburg?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need insurance?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.
Where to stay in Gothenburg?
Short in time? Go sightseeing in Gothenburg on tour!
Experiences and top things to do in Gothenburg
Enjoy the Gothenburg’s canals with a boat
There are so many places to see in Gothenburg, a boat trip is an impressive start of your trip with the boat and know about the charming city.
The boat timings are so frequent throughout the day from Kungsportsplatsen, and you can enjoy the 50 Minutes tours and explore the beauty around the places.
The boat will take you to through the canals first and then under bridges and finally, it will take you onto the river Gota. At this place, you can see so many beautiful views of dockyards and museum ships.
Explore The Gothenburg Museum of Art
Gothenburg Museum of art is one of the attractive places to visit in Gothenburg. The museum was opened in 1923 for Gothenburg’s International Exhibition.
On this spot, you can see the magnificent European paintings from the 1400s until the 21st century. You will be surprised by the international artwork that is the finest in Northern Europe.
All the collections and artwork was done by Albert Edelfelt, Ernst Josephson, P.S. Krøyer, Carl Larsson, Bruno Liljefors, Edvard Munch, Anders Zorn, Rembrandt, Rubens, Monet, Picasso Chagall, and others.
The museum also organizes other activities like temporary exhibitions, lectures, workshops, guided tours, family activities, shops, and a café.
Visit The Botanical Garden
The botanical garden is known as the remarkable place and tourist attraction in Gothenburg.
The sprawling botanical garden of Gothenburg covers 175 hectares situated in the center place of the city. Its large greenhouse is covered with around 4,000 plants, which is worthy to see for the visitors.
You can inspect the enormous collection of orchids around 1,500 inside the museum.
Also, do not miss the Easter Island Tree, sophora toromiro that is undercover, which can amaze the tourists.
The famous arboretum has so many trees from all over the world, and you will find around 6,000 plants species there.
Visiting Slottsskogan is yet another good thing if you are sorting out the best places to visit in Gothenburg.
The central park of Gothenburg in 137 hectares fulfilled with lots of greenery and beautiful trees.
The old growth trees surround the English garden on the east side, and you will feel the paths weaving between the trees. Linden, oak and beech woodland has undertaken the rest of the area.
Slottsskogen is a fascinating place to visit for morning walks and other activities in Gothenburg.
You will also enjoy the adventurous things and playground for Miniature golf and many more.
Explore The Maritiman
While we discuss the top tourist attraction in Gothenburg, Maritiman is one of the famous places to see. You can see various shapes and sizes of the floating museum and experience the military heritage, and many more.
Also, the visitors can board on the tow crafts HSwMS Småland, which was launched in 1952 and the HMS Nordkaparen, which was launched in 1962.
There are a few things to observe and explore like vessels, pathetic passages, ladders, and steep stairways if you wish to see the engine room, torpedo ports, living quarters, mess halls, etc.
Visit Volvo Museum
The Volvo Museum is located on the west side of Gothenburg, and it has Sweden’s most loved automotive brands.
The Volvo Museum was founded and built in 1927. You can find almost every brand, classic car, and trucks, which everyone knows and likes.
However, the items are not for sale. Apart from the vehicles, there is an exhibition for the Volvo Ocean Race and equipment developed by Volvo Aero.
Take a Walk Into The Masthugg Church
While enjoying the Gothenburg Sightseeing, do not forget visiting the Masthugg Church, designed by Sigfrid Ericson. It was constructed in 1914, and the design was inspired with the Nordic Romantic style.
It is identified that Sigfrid Ericson also styled Gothenburg’s Museum of Art. You can see a 60 Metres high tower that makes the Church and the location a worth watching the place.
As per the designs work, the Church became an iconic landmark of Gothenburg and a prominent symbol of the city.
Its interior is incredible, which can hold more than 1,000 worshippers.
Take A Look At Gothenburg Opera House
The Gothenburg Opera House is famous among the things to see in Gothenburg.
This Post-Modern opera house was opened in 1994, after being in the pipeline for 50 years.
The tourists can explore so many things in this eye-catching in the opera house like the attractive interior, a well-executed production, and the construction time of a few years.
You will be amazed by the smart logistics, airy interiors, which bears you to behind the historical view.
You can also come here during the season like ballet, musicals, and opera of an ultimate standard.
Plan For A Trip To Vinga
If you are planning to see famous Gothenburg landmarks, Vinga has so many things to enjoy.
Enjoy the trip of Vinga by visiting the vassals, voyage, and Remote Island. The distance of Vinga from Gothenburg is ten nautical miles; however, it will not affect your tour as the place is worth watching.
There is a Café on board, which is enough to make you feel comfortable throughout the journey to Vinga from Gothenburg.
Vinga is become a popular seamark by the tourists for so many decades, and there is a current lighthouse, too from 1890.
It preferably an extraordinary place for swimming lovers to visit in summer days.
Delsjon is a top tourist attraction Gothenburg. You can get a tram and go from Gothenburg to Töpelsgatan.
After a few minutes walking, you will get to see the pair of lakes Lilla and Stora Delsjön covered in intensive woodland.
Delsjon is a kind of water collection for the city Gothenburg, and it provides calmness, a complete natural spot, and exotic relief.
You can enjoy the Jogging and Bicycle riding around the shore and conic woodland.
In favorable weather, so many families use to visit the Delsjon’s broad beach and enjoy the dive off rocks around the coastline.
The youngsters may find a café over there along with Food kiosk and also visit the picnic spots for the summer season.
Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- Best Carry On Backpack: Top Weekender Backpack Reviews
- Best Luggage: Top Suitcase Reviews
- Backpacking Minimalist: How to Travel with Less (Minimalist Travel)
- Minimalist packing list for women
- Minimalist packing list for men
- Backpack vs Luggage: Which One to Use for Long Term Travel
Important travel tips and tricks:
- Before Flight Travel Checklist: Make Sure You Have Everything You Need!
- How to Find Cheap Flights Everywhere (Using Skyscanner)
- Why You Should Get a Travel Insurance for Your Next Adventure
- Hotel, Hostel, Airbnb, or Guesthouse: Which One to Choose for Accommodation?
- Top Travel Tips to Use When You Get to Your Destination
Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
- Best Cities to Visit in Asia: Top 20 Beautiful and Best Cities to Travel in Asia
- Inspirational Travel Quotes: The 111 Amazing Travelling Quotes
- Best Dream Quotes: Top 50 Quotes About Dream and Goals
- Best Cities in Europe to Visit: Top Weekend Getaways in Europe!
- Top 20 Cheapest Countries in Europe to Visit for Budget Travelers
- European Honeymoon: The Most Romantic Destinations in Europe