Things to do in Stavanger (Norway)
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please read our disclosure policy.
Stavanger sits in the southwest part of Norway and is among the very few destinations in the country where one can find long sandy beaches. It is the ideal destination for tourists looking for a summer vacation where they can enjoy the right mix of Scandinavian explorations and sunbathing.
The city has a harbor that cruise ships love as their port-of-call while on fjord tours. Most of the Stavanger attractions are only a short stroll away from its shores. To get a taste of Norway’s excellent art collection tourists can head over to the Rogaland Kunstmuseum while the Stavanger Cathedral is the best Medieval church in the country.
Tourists can seemingly travel back in time to a Scandinavia of the 18th century when they visit the Gamle Stavanger district.
Useful travel tips for every traveler (Budget or not!)
→ Learn how to find cheap flights: Read our Skyscanner guide on how to find flights!
→ Save money and use Airbnb: Get up to 26USD in credit to use on your next stay, use this link to avail this!
→ Get some money back from your hotel bookings: Use this Booking.com discount code and for every 50USD worth of hotel bookings, you will get 10% of your money back!
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick information and Oslo travel tips
- 2 Where to stay in Oslo?
- 3 Short in time? Go sightseeing in Oslo on tour!
- 4 Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- 5 Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
Quick information and Oslo travel tips
- Currency? Norwegian Krona
- Languages? Norwegian and English
- Where is this place? Located in Southern Norway
- What is Oslo famous for? Skiing, The Royals, and architecture.
- Best time to visit Oslo? All year round. But if you’re not a fan of winter, come in summer, spring, or autumn. The weather won’t be extreme but mind that spring and autumn might be wet from the rain. Just make sure to bring a good winter jacket and travel shoes with you!
- How to get there? You can take the plane if you’re coming abroad or other big cities in Norway. Otherwise, you can also come by cruise or train (from other big cities).
- Other famous places in Norway? Oslo, Tromsø, Åleslund, Trondheim, Svalbard, Stavanger, Lofoten Islands, Bergen, West Fjords, Bodø, Fredrikstad, Alta, Røros, Helgeland, and Jotunheimen National Park. You can check all the top places to visit in Norway, click this to read the post.
- Famous neighboring countries? Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, and Finland
- Other European cities similar to Oslo? Stockholm, Copenhagen, Reykjavik, and Helsinki
Do you need a visa for Norway?
Norway is part of the Schengen area and citizens of EU group of countries can freely enter this Baltic state while citizens of USA, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia can enter the country just with their passports and stay for 90 days.
You can check our guide on how to get a Schengen visa and as well to see if you’re eligible to enter the country with just your passports or if you’ll need to apply for a visa prior entry – read it here.
Where to book your flights to Oslo?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need insurance?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.
Where to stay in Oslo?
Short in time? Go sightseeing in Oslo on tour!
Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
Travel essentials and gears:
Important travel tips and tricks:
- Before Flight Travel Checklist: Make Sure You Have Everything You Need!
- Why You Should Get a Travel Insurance for Your Next Adventure
- Hotel, Hostel, Airbnb, or Guesthouse: Which One to Choose for Accommodation?
- Top Travel Tips to Use When You Get to Your Destination
Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
- Best Cities in Europe to Visit: Top Weekend Getaways in Europe!
- Best Cities to Visit in Asia: Top 20 Beautiful and Best Cities to Travel in Asia
- European Honeymoon: The Most Romantic Destinations in Europe
- Inspirational Travel Quotes: The 111 Amazing Travelling Quotes
- Best Nature Quotes: Top 35 Quotes About Nature and Life