Travel Guide: What to See and Things to Do in Tromsø (Norway)
Located in the northern part of Norway and the cultural hub in the arctic circle, Tromso is boasting with some of nature’s grandest marvels. From scenic landscapes to historic landmarks, this lovely city has been welcoming visitors from all over the world just to awe them with her beauty.
Famous for its Northern Lights viewpoints, in this post, we’ll tackle some of the other things to do in Tromsø you might find interesting.
Useful travel tips for every traveler (Budget or not!)
→ Learn how to find cheap flights: Read our Skyscanner guide on how to find flights!
→ Save some money from your hotel bookings: Use this Booking.com link to find deals on hotels, hostels, and guesthouses. Another tip is tp sign-up for an account and refer friends and for every 50USD worth of hotel bookings, you will get 10% of your money back!
→ Save money and use Airbnb: Get up to 26USD in credit to use on your next stay, use this link to avail this!
Table of Contents
- 1 Practical information and Tromsø travel tips
- 2 Where to stay in Tromsø?
- 3 Short in time? Go sightseeing in Tromsø on tour!
- 4 Experiences and top things to do in Tromsø, Norway
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5.1 What is Tromsø famous for?
- 5.2 What is there to do in Tromsø in January?
- 5.3 Can you see the Northern Lights in Tromsø?
- 5.4 How far is Tromso from the North Pole?
- 5.5 What should I wear in Tromso?
- 5.6 When can you see whales in Tromsø?
- 5.7 Is Tromso inside the Arctic Circle?
- 5.8 What is the best time to see the Northern Lights?
- 6 Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- 7 Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
- 8 Learn more about the Nordics and Scandinavia
- 9 Are you on Pinterest? Pin these for later read!
Practical information and Tromsø travel tips
Quick facts about Tromsø?
- Currency? Norwegian Krona
- Languages? Norwegian and English
- Where is this place? Located in Northern Norway
- What is Tromsø famous for? Northern Lights, Fjords, and historic wooden houses.
- Best time to visit Tromsø? All year round. But if you want to see the Northern Lights, you should come between September and January
- How to get there? You can take the train, bus, cruise, or plane. If you’re coming from other big cities, you can take the train and the closest one is in Narvik
- Other famous places in Norway? Oslo, Tromsø, Åleslund, Trondheim, Svalbard, Stavanger, Lofoten Islands, Bergen, West Fjords, Bodø, Fredrikstad, Alta, Røros, Helgeland, and Jotunheimen National Park. You can check all the top places to visit in Norway, click this to read the post.
Do you need a visa for Norway?
Norway is part of the Schengen area and citizens of EU group of countries can freely enter this Baltic state while citizens of USA, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia can enter the country just with their passports and stay for 90 days.
You can check our guide on how to get a Schengen visa and as well to see if you’re eligible to enter the country with just your passports or if you’ll need to apply for a visa prior entry – read it here.
Where to book your flights to Tromsø?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need insurance?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.
Where to stay in Tromsø?
Short in time? Go sightseeing in Tromsø on tour!
Experiences and top things to do in Tromsø, Norway
The Arctic Cathedral
Located in Tromsdalen valley, The Arctic Cathedral is a parish church and is known for its lovely triangle-shaped building.
Located between Tromso and Tromsdalen, Fjellheisen is a cable car that connects both destinations. Taking this route will astonish you as you get to view the whole is from above inviting you to suck in all the beauty of the city.
The Polar Museum and Skansen
If you want to learn more about Polar expeditions and Norway’s’ leading pioneers when it comes to seafaring traditions. You’ll get to see all the equipment used and as well stuffed animals that surround the tradition.
After a long day of exploring, visit one of Tromsø’s oldest pub for some brewskies!
Check out Polaria
If you want an educational experience and would like to know and have a deeper understanding of Norway’s sea expedition traditions, Polaria is an aquarium and a museum with interactive exhibitions about marine life that took place in Norway. This is a good place to visit with the family.
Go Whale watching
The best time to do whale watching in Norway is in summer where you can spot several species of whales swarming around the arctic sea. You can book a tour and have a unique experience to do this. This is also one of the unique things to do in Tromsø.
Tromsø Aurora: Watch the Northern lights
Since Norway is located in Northern Europe and Tromsø is located at the very north of the country, there’ a huge chance for you to see the Northern Lights also known as the Aurora Borealis. The best time to see this natural phenomenon is between September and January.
The best Northern Lights tour in Tromsø – Northern Lights 7-Hour Tour from Tromsø
Tromsø excursions: Go dog sledding
Play with huskies and let it tour you around Tromsø and see the beauty of the scenic mountain view on a different angle. You can book a full-on dog sledding tour including lunch to make the most out of your experience
The best dog sledding tour – Tromsø: Guided Husky Sledding with Lunch
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Tromsø famous for?
Tromsø is famous as the spot to see Northern Lights. A lot of tourist travel here to see just this and as well to experience winter and whale watching.
What is there to do in Tromsø in January?
This is perhaps one of the best times to visit Tromsø and also the highest season for tourists. People come here around this time of the year to experience Northern Lights and whale watching so book your tours and expeditions in advance!
Can you see the Northern Lights in Tromsø?
Absolutely! If you come between late September to January and March, you’ll have a good chance to see the Northern Lights as it is one of the best things to do in Tromsø. However, you’ll have greater chances of seeing this natural phenomenon in October, November, and March!
How far is Tromso from the North Pole?
The North Pole is about 2200km from Tromsø.
What should I wear in Tromso?
It absolutely depends on what time of the year you are coming. That said, Tromsø is located up north in Norway and although summer can be warm, it is still best to bring enough clothes to keep you warm when it does get chilly. If you’re coming in winter, however, then you certainly must come prepared. We have compiled a packing list for those who are interested in coming to Europe in winter, check it out here. Spring and Autumn can both be wet so bring warm clothing and possibly waterproof shoes, umbrella, raincoats, and windbreakers.
When can you see whales in Tromsø?
Yes, and the best time to do this is during winter!
Is Tromso inside the Arctic Circle?
It is located 250km north of the Arctic Circle
What is the best time to see the Northern Lights?
Between September and January.
Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- Best Carry On Backpack: Top Weekender Backpack Reviews
- Best Luggage: Top Suitcase Reviews
- Backpacking Minimalist: How to Travel with Less (Minimalist Travel)
- Minimalist packing list for women
- Minimalist packing list for men
- Backpack vs Luggage: Which One to Use for Long Term Travel
Important travel tips and tricks:
- Before Flight Travel Checklist: Make Sure You Have Everything You Need!
- How to Find Cheap Flights Everywhere (Using Skyscanner)
- Why You Should Get a Travel Insurance for Your Next Adventure
- Hotel, Hostel, Airbnb, or Guesthouse: Which One to Choose for Accommodation?
- Top Travel Tips to Use When You Get to Your Destination
Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
- Best Cities to Visit in Asia: Top 20 Beautiful and Best Cities to Travel in Asia
- Inspirational Travel Quotes: The 111 Amazing Travelling Quotes
- Best Dream Quotes: Top 50 Quotes About Dream and Goals
- Best Cities in Europe to Visit: Top Weekend Getaways in Europe!
- Top 20 Cheapest Countries in Europe to Visit for Budget Travelers
- European Honeymoon: The Most Romantic Destinations in Europe
- Points of Interest: What to See and Places to Visit in Sweden
- Points of Interest: Where to Go and Places to Visit in Denmark
- Points of Interest: Where to Go and Places to Visit in Iceland
- Points of Interest: Where to Go and Places to Visit in Finland
IS THIS THE KIND OF POST THAT INTEREST YOU?AWESOME! TICKLE YOUR WANDERLUST AND JOIN MY COMMUNITY OF TRAVEL ENTHUSIASTS AND NEVER MISS OUT A POST!
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these for later read!
- Are you planning to visit Tromsø soon?
- Are there any of these attractions in Tromsø did you want to see?
- Let us know in the comment section below!
DISCLAIMER: There may be affiliate links attached in this post and if you decided to purchase from my links, I get a small commission at no extra charge to you. That commission helps to run this website and so on. If you’re interested to read more about this visual travel blog’s other ventures, please read my disclosure policy for more information.