Top 5 Things to do in Skåne (Sweden)
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please read our disclosure policy.
Skåne seems to be like just another small country which is attached to Sweden, but not the part of it. It is a province in the south of the country.
It is also known as ‘granary’ of the nation due to its fertile plains and great sunshine. Skåne may not be rich in famous fjords and snow-capped hills like Scandinavia.
However, it still has everything else, such as most varied scenery in Sweden, i.e., from dense forests to exotic beaches and pristine waterways in Sweden. The sand-studded coastline and rolling hills are just made for exploring and visiting.
Some of the best places to visit in Skåne are its medieval cities with some stateliest cathedrals and lots of castles. If you love to explore the Viking history, you must get here for Skåne sightseeing, which includes the ruins of Bronze Age and ancient sites.
Getting there is also very easy. You can choose from different flights, either to Sturup Airport, Malmö or Copenhagen. From these airports, several frequent hovercrafts connect to the heart of Malmö. They also run from Malmo to Copenhagen day and night, every 20 minutes.
If you are getting there by road, you may take a car ferry from Germany, Denmark, and Poland. If you are in Copenhagen, you may rent a car and drive to Skåne.
So, without further wait, here are some of the best things to do in Skåne.
Useful travel tips for every traveler (Budget or not!)
→ Learn how to find cheap flights: Read our Skyscanner guide on how to find flights!
→ Save money and use Airbnb: Get up to 26USD in credit to use on your next stay, use this link to avail this!
→ Get some money back from your hotel bookings: Use this Booking.com discount code and for every 50USD worth of hotel bookings, you will get 10% of your money back!
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick information and Skåne travel tips
- 2 Where to stay in Skåne?
- 3 Short in time? Go sightseeing in Skåne on tour!
- 4 Experiences and top things to do in Skåne
- 5 Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- 6 Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
Quick information and Skåne travel tips
- Currency? Swedish krona
- Languages? Swedish
- Where is this place? Located in Southern Sweden. Northern Europe.
- What is Sweden famous for? Skiing, Northern Lights, ABBA, meatballs, pickled herring, IKEA.
- Best time to visit Sweden? All year round. But if you’re not a fan of winter, come in summer, spring, or autumn. The weather won’t be extreme but mind that spring and autumn might be wet from the rain. Just make sure to bring a good winter jacket and travel shoes with you!
- How to get there? Skåne is a county, therefore, there are loads of ways to get in here from Stockholm. For instance, you can take the train, bus, fly or drive to its capital city – Malmö. You can also easily get here from Copenhagen by train or flying.
- Other famous places in Sweden? Stockholm, Kalmar, Gammelstad, Ystad, Gothenburg, Uppsala, Malmö, Swedish Lapland, Luelå, Kosterhavet, Gotland, Österlen, Lund, Marstrand
- Famous neighboring countries? Norway, Denmark, Iceland, and Finland
Do you need a visa for Sweden?
Sweden is part of the Schengen area and citizens of EU group of countries can freely enter this Baltic state while citizens of USA, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia can enter the country just with their passports and stay for 90 days.
You can check our guide on how to get a Schengen visa and as well to see if you’re eligible to enter the country with just your passports or if you’ll need to apply for a visa prior entry – read it here.
Where to book your flights to Skåne?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need insurance?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.
Where to stay in Skåne?
Short in time? Go sightseeing in Skåne on tour!
Experiences and top things to do in Skåne
Go Cycling in the Southeast Tracks
Swedes are quite outdoorsy by nature. Therefore, cycling is one of the hottest favorite pastimes for them. It is so popular that the government has funded for construction of hundreds of miles of cycling trails across the nation.
It includes both long-distance cycling routes through some of the most exotic landmarks of the countryside and safe cycling lanes in busy streets of the cities.
Extending around 270km between Växjö to Simrishamn, the Sydostleden or the Southeast trail is one of the best cycling paths. It passes along the unspoiled beaches and pine-scented forests. It is straightforward to follow the pathways despite some dusty roads towards AWOL.
If you are a die-hard cyclist, you may want to cover the whole track. However, you can still rent a bike and choose a small part of the route to cycle first.
Hike through Exotic Walking Trails of Skåne
What is your plan after having the delicious pizza in the morning? Wear a pair of hiking shoes and go hiking. One of the best trails is Degeberga, which starts exactly down the road.
There are winding paths in the Swedish countryside, which lead through the rolling hills, verdant greens brandishing wild strawberries and stunningly ripe lingonberries, finishing at a free-flowing brook and crystal-clear waterfall.
The fairytale forest houses nymphs, and pixies and fairytale forest and magical place of Forsakar Nature Reserve. So pack up some delicious snacks and flask of hot coffee and take in the easy hike of 5.5km along the stunning Skåne
Have some quality time at the beach
If you are visiting Skåne, which sees less sun than other countries, it goes without saying that you would like to wear a swimsuit and get a tan and sport a swimsuit.
It is the place where UV is less stressful on a beach. This is the reason a lot of Swedes love to bask in the sun during the winter months. Even if you get here during summers, it has beaches where many tourists flock in Skåne.
The yellow sandy beach of Swedish Riviera stretches over the miles along the crescent-shaped coast. It is edged by forest and is powdery perfect and open for all. With the growing fame of summer homes, you may expect high crowds in some of the coastal town.
Nevertheless, you don’t have to go too far to find some peace and seclusion in ocean waves. It has open access to the coast and land. You can easily camp at your calm corner on the wilderness.
Visit Soderasen National Park
Stretched over 1600 hectares, Sodersen National Park is the stunning landscape capped by the massive beech trees. It is one of the largest unhindered stretches of well-conserved deciduous forests in the north of Europe.
It is truly a paradise for nature lovers, with over ten devoted walking trails, ranging from smooth amble to tough hikes. Therefore, you can easily visit the region even if you stop for just a few hours.
If you have enough time, you may book your accommodation in basic huts. Be sure to visit here when you are prepared as most of the cabins don’t have the power supply.
Explore the beautiful Arild town
There are vivid clapperboard houses in the Swedish landscape complemented with stunning country gardens as well as white fences.
Whether clustered on the Small Island, seafront, or highness of the hills, you will want to capture this country. Arild is a small fishing village with over 500 residents. It has rusting boats in the small harbor.
Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- Best Carry On Backpack: Top Weekender Backpack Reviews
- Best Luggage: Top Suitcase Reviews
- Backpacking Minimalist: How to Travel with Less (Minimalist Travel)
- Minimalist packing list for women
- Minimalist packing list for men
- Backpack vs Luggage: Which One to Use for Long Term Travel
Important travel tips and tricks:
- Before Flight Travel Checklist: Make Sure You Have Everything You Need!
- How to Find Cheap Flights Everywhere (Using Skyscanner)
- Why You Should Get a Travel Insurance for Your Next Adventure
- Hotel, Hostel, Airbnb, or Guesthouse: Which One to Choose for Accommodation?
- Top Travel Tips to Use When You Get to Your Destination
Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
- Best Cities in Europe to Visit: Top Weekend Getaways in Europe!
- Best Cities to Visit in Asia: Top 20 Beautiful and Best Cities to Travel in Asia
- European Honeymoon: The Most Romantic Destinations in Europe
- Inspirational Travel Quotes: The 111 Amazing Travelling Quotes
- Best Nature Quotes: Top 35 Quotes About Nature and Life