Top 10 Things to do in Österlen (Sweden)
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please read our disclosure policy.
Österlen belongs to Skåne, the historical province in Sweden. Österlen houses the town named Simrishamn. It is well recognized for its rich culture and stunning scenery in Sweden.
It houses a lot of writers and artists. It is a well-known tourist destination, which is well regarded for its historical buildings, natural environment, and farmland. It features the cities of Tomelilia and Simrishamn, along with Stensuvud National Park.
You can easily reach Österlen via Copenhagen International Airport and Malmö-Sturup airport.
It would be best if you first visited Malmö to get to Österlen by train and then go by Pågatågen line 6 trains. It stops at various destinations in Österlen.
Here are the top things to do in Österlen!
Useful travel tips for every traveler (Budget or not!)
→ Learn how to find cheap flights: Read our Skyscanner guide on how to find flights!
→ Save some money from your hotel bookings: Use this Booking.com link to find deals on hotels, hostels, and guesthouses. Another tip is tp sign-up for an account and refer friends and for every 50USD worth of hotel bookings, you will get 10% of your money back!
→ Save money and use Airbnb: Get up to 26USD in credit to use on your next stay, use this link to avail this!
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick information and Österlen travel tips
- 2 Where to stay in Österlen?
- 3 Short in time? Go sightseeing in Sweden on tour!
- 4 Experiences and top things to do in Österlen
- 5 Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- 6 Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
Quick information and Österlen travel tips
- Currency? Swedish krona
- Languages? Swedish
- Where is this place? Located in the southeast Sweden. Northern Europe.
- What is Sweden famous for? Skiing, Northern Lights, ABBA, meatballs, pickled herring, IKEA.
- Best time to visit Österlen and Sweden? All year round. But if you’re not a fan of winter, come in summer, spring, or autumn. The weather won’t be extreme but mind that spring and autumn might be wet from the rain. Just make sure to bring a good winter jacket and travel shoes with you!
- How to get from Stockholm to Österlen? The quickest way to get to Österlen is by train and by bus (7hrs and 11mins)
- Other famous places in Sweden? Stockholm, Kalmar, Gammelstad, Ystad, Gothenburg, Uppsala, Malmö, Swedish Lapland, Luelå, Kosterhavet, Gotland, Lund, Marstrand, Skåne
- Famous neighboring countries? Norway, Denmark, Iceland, and Finland
Do you need a visa for Sweden?
Sweden is part of the Schengen area and citizens of EU group of countries can freely enter this Baltic state while citizens of USA, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia can enter the country just with their passports and stay for 90 days.
You can check our guide on how to get a Schengen visa and as well to see if you’re eligible to enter the country with just your passports or if you’ll need to apply for a visa prior entry – read it here.
Where to book your flights to Sweden?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need insurance?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.
Where to stay in Österlen?
Short in time? Go sightseeing in Sweden on tour!
Experiences and top things to do in Österlen
Take a walk in Simirishamn
If you are up for enjoying Österlen sightseeing in summer, you may get around Simirishamn harbor; wait for the ferry, which will take you to Danish island of Bornholm and idly licking ice creams.
Simirishamn is the largest city in the southeast of Skåne, which is sparsely populated in Österlen. It is a beautiful part of small fishing villages, wheat fields, and beautiful apple orchards.
At this place, everything flows through its own slow pace, and cycling is the most preferred option to get along.
It is the largest theme park/amusement park in the Scania area, which is just around an hour drive from Ahus campsite. There is a water park with several heated pools and rides for all ages and Motor Park with Segway, GoCart, and Bumper Boats.
You may also find many amusement rides for the people of all ages. It is one of the best Österlen landmarks.
Barnens Bokhandel is a store located on the main street of Simrishamn which offers plenty of puzzles, books, and many literature things for children.
There is a concept named ‘Bookstore for Kids’ since the 1970s by a well-known culture developer and journalist, Mariane von Baumgarten-Lindberg.
The idea behind Barnens Bokandel is very classic, i.e., to offer gifts, books, and games to the kids of all ages. The only condition is that this item helps to learn more and nurture a passion for literature.
Marianne was assigned with a national prize named “Natur och Kultur” for her substantial, longstanding and inspiring efforts to convey the culture of reading to the youth.
You can also spot smartbooks at Barnens Bokhandel for children of all ages. There is an excellent collection of books in numerous languages. Along with books, you can also find a lot of puzzles, fun educative games, posters, and toys.
Located in Simrishamn, the Glimmingehus is the well-preserved age-old stronghold in southern Sweden.
It was built in 1506 when Scania formed a significant part of Denmark, and it has a lot of defensive arrangements like false doors, parapets, and murder holes to pour boiling pitch on the attackers, drawbridges, moats, and other types of a death trap to prevent trespassers and peasant uprisings.
On the lower part, there are 2.4m thick stone walls and 1.8m thick walls on the upper part.
In 1499, Jens Holgersen Ulfstand, the Danish knight as well as the architect and stone-cutter-mason Adam van Duren, a North German master, started construction.
You must stay and join the midsummer celebration if you are heading to Österlen in June. Every town celebrates Midsommar in its way.
The dance and music events start at around 2 to 3 pm. You can enjoy all the schnapps and food later on. You can enjoy fresh strawberries, new potatoes, and other dishes.
You can have fun on holiday homes in this part of the nation. You may learn how they celebrate the midsummer from many locals.
Well, it is one of the best things to do in Österlen. There is a family-run fruit farm, Kiviks Musteri. Over here, you can taste cider, explore the orchards, and get to the ‘House of Apples’ and see the process of making cider and juice. In addition, try some homemade apple juice and apple cake in the café before leaving.
In this part of the country, the fruit is quite a big deal. Picking raspberry with friends and family is one of the best activities in Österlen.
Be sure to visit Norra Bjorstop, which is located between Ystad and Kristianstad, i.e., 3km north of Route 19.
Explore a vineyard
It is one of Sweden’s only vineyards in a district, which is famed for apple orchards. It is a fun and calm day out.
Here you can walk along the vineyard and talk to the locals or wine farmers and check out their section of the vineyard.
You cannot just turn water into the wine, but you can at least, make an apple art. There is a free event named, ‘The Kivik Apple Market Festival” held in late September.
Here, you can explore apple brewery, a mosaic sculpture made of 4 tons of apple and taste apples.
Visit Stenshuvuds National Park
If you do not want to leave this region even after a tour, you should visit Stenshuvuds National Park.
Vitemolla is yet another great place you should explore. You can find a lot of charming houses, fantastic sea views, and untouched and unmatched beaches where you can walk along.
Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- Best Carry On Backpack: Top Weekender Backpack Reviews
- Best Luggage: Top Suitcase Reviews
- Backpacking Minimalist: How to Travel with Less (Minimalist Travel)
- Minimalist packing list for women
- Minimalist packing list for men
- Backpack vs Luggage: Which One to Use for Long Term Travel
Important travel tips and tricks:
- Before Flight Travel Checklist: Make Sure You Have Everything You Need!
- How to Find Cheap Flights Everywhere (Using Skyscanner)
- Why You Should Get a Travel Insurance for Your Next Adventure
- Hotel, Hostel, Airbnb, or Guesthouse: Which One to Choose for Accommodation?
- Top Travel Tips to Use When You Get to Your Destination
Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
- Best Cities to Visit in Asia: Top 20 Beautiful and Best Cities to Travel in Asia
- Inspirational Travel Quotes: The 111 Amazing Travelling Quotes
- Best Dream Quotes: Top 50 Quotes About Dream and Goals
- Best Cities in Europe to Visit: Top Weekend Getaways in Europe!
- Top 20 Cheapest Countries in Europe to Visit for Budget Travelers
- European Honeymoon: The Most Romantic Destinations in Europe