Top 8 Things to do in Ystad (Sweden)
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please read our disclosure policy.
The beautiful city Ystad is a part of Skåne or Scania (Southern Sweden). It is the part of the south coast of Scania, where you can find some awesome beaches in the west and east of the city.
Ystad was firstly settled in the 12th century and had a beautiful medieval center. It was also allied with the Hanseatic League that is joined in the 14th century.
There are several festivals hosted by Ystad, and it has a lovely art museum, many more attractions to see and places to visit in Ystad.
Ystad is a small but attractive city to explore such beautiful and historical things. Here are the things to do in Ystad:
Useful travel tips for every traveler (Budget or not!)
→ Learn how to find cheap flights: Read our Skyscanner guide on how to find flights!
→ Save money and use Airbnb: Get up to 26USD in credit to use on your next stay, use this link to avail this!
→ Get some money back from your hotel bookings: Use this Booking.com discount code and for every 50USD worth of hotel bookings, you will get 10% of your money back!
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick information and Ystad travel tips
- 2 Where to stay in Ystad?
- 3 Short in time? Go sightseeing in Sweden on tour!
- 4 Experiences and top things to do in Ystad
- 5 Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- 6 Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
Quick information and Ystad travel tips
- Currency? Swedish krona
- Languages? Swedish
- Where is this place? Located in Skåne County at the Southern tip of Sweden. Northern Europe.
- What is Sweden famous for? Skiing, Northern Lights, ABBA, meatballs, pickled herring, IKEA.
- Best time to visit Ystad and Sweden? All year round. But if you’re not a fan of winter, come in summer, spring, or autumn. The weather won’t be extreme but mind that spring and autumn might be wet from the rain. Just make sure to bring a good winter jacket and travel shoes with you!
- How to get there? You can fly to Ystad from Stockholm (1hr 5mins), Drive yourself (6–9hrs), Bus (10–12hrs), or by Train (5hrs 36mins). From Malmö, you can take the Train (50–60mins), Bus (1ht 39mins), or by driving yourself (46mins).
- Other famous places in Sweden? Stockholm, Kalmar, Gammelstad, Gothenburg, Uppsala, Malmö, Swedish Lapland, Luelå, Kosterhavet, Gotland, Österlen, Lund, Marstrand, Skåne
- Famous neighboring countries? Norway, Denmark, Iceland, and Finland
Do you need a visa for Sweden?
Sweden is part of the Schengen area and citizens of EU group of countries can freely enter this Baltic state while citizens of USA, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia can enter the country just with their passports and stay for 90 days.
You can check our guide on how to get a Schengen visa and as well to see if you’re eligible to enter the country with just your passports or if you’ll need to apply for a visa prior entry – read it here.
Where to book your flights to Ystad?
Check our handy-dandy guide on how to find the cheapest flights around the world – read it here.
Do you need insurance?
Remember this: anything can happen! Read our take on why you need travel insurance and how it can save you money when things go unplanned – read it here.
Where to stay in Ystad?
Short in time? Go sightseeing in Sweden on tour!
Experiences and top things to do in Ystad
Ales Stenar is located on the east side of Ystad, and it is one of the mysterious places of Sweden. The mysterious monuments of early Iron Age have designed with 59 big boulders those are systemized in a 67-meter long boundary design.
It has a spectacular sight over Österlen’s hilly landscape and the Baltic Sea. It is believed that the monument originates from the early Iron Age (500-1,000 AD).
Ales Stenar visit is well worth if you are planning what to do in Ystad in the Southern Sweden region. All the magnificent coastline of east Ystad will make you mesmerized with the old time movements.
Ystads theater is the massive theater in the central Ystad city. It was built in 1893-1894, and an urban architect Peter Boisen drew.
The original name of this theater was “Ystad’s New Theater” it was situated opposite to an old theater at Stortorget. When the theater was built, it had 500 seats.
You can see the various unique collection of painting those are painted in Carl Grabow’s studio.
It is also known that the theater is a portion of the Nordic section of European Road Historic Theaters.
Saint Mary’s Church
Saint Mary’s Church is the first church on the Ystad site. It is a Romanesque basilica-shaped church building built in the 13th century.
It was rebuilt during the 14th and 15th centuries and acquired the more beautiful look, and that is how it looks today.
In the 18th century, a few more changes and interior work was done, and until 1830, it was partially reconstructed.
You can see so many amazing paintings and historical things inside the church.
The Abbey in Ystad
The Abbey in Ystad is the best and famous landmark Abbey in Sweden. It was founded in 1267 by Franciscan Munks, called Grey Friars.
It is the renowned abbey where you can see the Exhibitions and other activities in Ystad almost all year.
This famous medieval church and one of the Ystad landmarks built in Brick Gothic style based on the old structure. It is open for various museum visitors and other tourists.
You can enjoy the good plants in the herb, cabbage, rose, and peony Gardens around The Abbey.
Also, you can purchase various designer items and handmade crafts in the museum shop. If you are a sweets lover, you can buy from the shops.
Salt Creek Spa
If you include visiting the Salt Creek Spa in your vacation plan, it will be a big plus of your trip.
You can do lots of activities Salt Creek Spa along with very vocational handling.
The sophisticated atmosphere of this spa is very relaxing for the guests to reduce their stress.
For various reasons, Salt Creek Spa became famous and getting so much tourist attraction in Ystad.
The Ystad Studios Visitor Center
The Ystad Studios Visitor Center is for those who are a fan for Wallander. This is the best place to visit in Southern Sweden.
The museum is built next to the Ystad Film Studios. It also includes set and props from the “Wallander” Films. It is in walking distance from the center of town, but still, its visit is worthy.
Also, you can get discounted tickets on Mondays if you are a newcomer.
Aberg Tradgard and Cafe
For nature lovers, the Aberg Tradgard is a place where you can see a variety of plants and trees.
You can get a good coffee and enjoy the cozy place to have coffee with organic ingredients.
The cafeteria also offers other things to eat like cakes, sandwiches which are made from their gardens ingredients.
It is a well-known thing that there are so many things to see in Ystad, the Marsvinsholms Slott is also one of them.
Marsvinsholm Castle was built in 1648, and it is located in the west of Ystad.
You can see so many impressive buildings in the surrounding area plus an elegant antique market across the street.
The live theatre outside in the summer makes this an appealing stop to make.
In the summer season, you can do and see various things; the castle is open for visitors all year around.
Need help to plan your trip? Start with these useful tips!
- Best Carry On Backpack: Top Weekender Backpack Reviews
- Best Luggage: Top Suitcase Reviews
- Backpacking Minimalist: How to Travel with Less (Minimalist Travel)
- Minimalist packing list for women
- Minimalist packing list for men
- Backpack vs Luggage: Which One to Use for Long Term Travel
Important travel tips and tricks:
- Before Flight Travel Checklist: Make Sure You Have Everything You Need!
- How to Find Cheap Flights Everywhere (Using Skyscanner)
- Why You Should Get a Travel Insurance for Your Next Adventure
- Hotel, Hostel, Airbnb, or Guesthouse: Which One to Choose for Accommodation?
- Top Travel Tips to Use When You Get to Your Destination
Do you need inspiration for your next trip? Here are our top posts!
- Best Cities in Europe to Visit: Top Weekend Getaways in Europe!
- Best Cities to Visit in Asia: Top 20 Beautiful and Best Cities to Travel in Asia
- European Honeymoon: The Most Romantic Destinations in Europe
- Inspirational Travel Quotes: The 111 Amazing Travelling Quotes
- Best Nature Quotes: Top 35 Quotes About Nature and Life